Top Cancun Tours - as voted by Cancuncare Users

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Jun 21, 2007.

?

My favourite tour, trip or activity in Cancun is:

1. Xcaret

95.1%
  2. Xel Ha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Chichen Itza

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Tulum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Swimming with Dolphins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Day Trip to Isla Mujeres

2.4%
  7. Captain Hook Pirate Ship

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Party Hopper Bar Crawl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jungle Tour

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Deep Sea Fishing

2.4%
  11. Scuba Diving

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    They're both great places, I've been to both several times.

Xel Ha I would say is more natural, less things to do and see but more picturesque and relaxing. Better snorkeling than Xcaret.

Xcaret is more activity based, probably better for kids plus they have the night show too.

People can only vote once in the poll, so a low number of votes doesnt necessarily mean a place should be avoided - it's only 4 votes to 2 currently so it's not a massive sample!

Also maybe many havent been to both to compare the two, so they vote for the one they visited that they enjoyed. I'm sure you'll love Xel Ha.

2. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    we haven't been to Xel-Ha but have heard some nice things about it... It's a very popular destination. When you get back I hope you will tell us what you thought of it.

3. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ALICE, I VOTED 4 XEL-HA WITHOUT HESITATION. THEN I SAW HOW LOW ITS SCORE WAS & I WAS SHOCKED. MY DISTANT 2ND CHOICE WAS ISLA MUJUERES. HERE'S *MY* COMPARISON IN A NUTSHELL. ISLA IS A SHOPPERS PARADISE, HAS STREETS JAMMED WITH PEOPLE ON GOLF-CARTS OR IN TAXIS, & THE BEACH IS NICE - NOT CANCUN-GREAT.

XEL-HA IS A SNORKLERS & WATER-TUBERS PARADISE. PLUS, ITS ALL-INCLUSIVE PKG IS FANTASTIC, WITH FAST OR BUFFET RESTAURANTS AND BARS FLOWING WITH CERVEZAS, MARGARITAS, & MORE. IT'S CLEAN AND CLASSY.

MY WIFE & I, PLUS OUR 27 YR OLD SON & 7 YR OLD GRANDSON LOVED IT! HOPE THIS HELPS.

4. mitchellfam

mitchellfam Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I voted scuba diving of course....but chichen itza or any tour involving ruins would be 2nd. Dolphins 3rd.

We are hoping to do a jungle tour next year...the girls are finally old enough to stay more than an hour or so at the kids club so we can go do it.

5. Alice

Alice Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We just got back and had a fantastic time!!!! We stayed with Xel-Ha and we all thought it was great. The food was very good (considering it is a park buffet), very easy to get drinks and food, nice shopping opportunities, very clean and ample chairs even in the shade; and of course lots of fish to see. We sat in a little alcove to the left of the Snuba dudes and they were a lot of fun and very entertaining. They have a pet Grouper named Poncho that lives under their pier, he is huge (coming from a non-scuba person) that they feed by hand. Well worth the money in my opinion. One thing, they don't have park maps in the brochure form so it's a bit hard to get oriented when you first get there (it's so big) but I did see a guy with one, he said he got it from his hotel concierge. I would recommend trying to get one before you go.

Alice

6. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Alice, I'm so glad u liked Xel-Ha. I was on record 4 it over the top-vote getter, Isla Mujueres, which is ok - especially 4 those who like 2 shop 4 commercial junk. Your assessment was a reminder of our trip there & I hope people r motivated now 2 check it out.

7. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I will type up my experiences before I vote.

Chichen Itza is essentially an all-day tour and takes a couple hours of driving/riding just to get there. The entire area around the restored ruins has been cleared of trees and brush so there is no shelter from the sun as you explore each structure. The structures are generally far apart from each other so there's quite a bit of walking involved. The signature building in the park is the "Castillo" or pyramid; however, that is now closed to climbers due to a series of accidents or peeps making graffiti at the top (whichever explanation you choose to believe).

Chichen, however, is a UNESCO World Heritage site and is just recently voted in as one of the new Seven Wonders of the World. It is one of the better-restored Mayan sites in the area that can be reached in a day trip from Cancun. While the pyramid is now closed to climbers, I understand that a couple other structures that had previously been closed are now open to peeps to explore. Most organized tours appear to include a lunch near the site, so you don't have to worry about that meal of the day...just bring extra to pay for a drink. During my lunch, there were performers doing traditional dances on a stage. Some tours include the opportunity for a dip in a swimming pool at the hotel hosting the lunch. Others include a stop at a cenote, where you can swim in the cold, fresh waters there. My tour included a drive through Valladolid and (according to our guide), if a market had been open or if there was time we would have stopped there for a bit of shopping.

Chichen is an excellent tour for peeps who are more tuned into archeology and exploring the remains of an ancient and mysterious civilization. It is not for peeps who just want to relax and not exert themselves.

For myself, my vote for a "tour" is for Chichen Itza.

I've been on "tours" to Isla Mujeres, but they don't allow you enough "me" time to do what I want or stay as long as I like in a particular area. Better to take a morning ferry over yourself and rent a golf cart for the day and explore at your leisure. Playa Norte, Garrafon, the shops, the restaurants, the lighthouse and ruins at the south-eastern point are yours whenever you want.

I've toured Tulum and most organized tours here appear to include half a day at Xel-Ha. So you get a combo tour. The Tulum "half" of it is okay, as there's not a lot to see (it doesn't cover a large area), but is quite scenic. The Xel-Ha half maybe is less of an experience than if you take in the park for the entire day. Lots of ground to cover and less time to do it...not to mention a greater press of tourists in the latter part of the day. I didn't to the combo tour with Xel-Ha, so I have no personal experience with that park.

8. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Delphinus Aquarium (Outside Xcaret with new facilities and from the same family as well as Xel Ha) Just open new facilities at Dreams Cancun and they have 3 different programs, we went to take Trek where you have kind of suba hamlet and are allow to get under the water and play with the dolphins, it was amazing.

9. 4biddenpleasrs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    bump.. :).. hoping to hear from new people on this poll.

10. 4biddenpleasrs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    bump

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice