top 10

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by matkirk, Dec 10, 2008.

1. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't know how accurate etc. this, and if it has any bearing on anything but my boss sent me this. It's tripadvisors results for last months top 10 most searched world destinations.

Just thought it was interesting to see Cancun and Playa both on the list, even if you take it with a grain of salt.

1. Las Vegas, Nev.

2. New York City, N.Y.

3. Paris, France

4. Cancun, Mexico

5. Orlando, Fla.

6. London, England

7. Rome, Italy

8. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

9. San Francisco, Calif.

10. Playa del Carmen, Mexico

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is interesting!! Thanks matkirk

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did a bunch of research a couple of years ago on which places people search for here (on search engines) and Cozumel was searched for about a 3rd as often as Cancun. This was interesting because, clearly, no where near 1/3 as many people end up booking travel to Cozumel as do to Cancun. So I think they were searching for Coz but then going off and doing something else, like booking a trip to Cancun.

Another factor in search results is mis-spellings. Lots of folks can't spell (or say) Isla Mujeres.

And do people search for Riviera Maya, Maya Riviera or Mayan Riviera?

Here's my data, this is from November 2004:

These are estimated searches per day, as proclaimed by WordTracker, can't recall if this was just for Google or if it was for the top 3 search engines, but what's important is the order and spread.

cancun 8405
    cozumel 3445
    playa del carmen 2649
    isla mujeres 860
    tulum 794
    chichen itza 738
    riviera maya 735
    mayan riviera 609
    yucatan 346
    akumal 294
    puerto morelos 129
    isla holbox 128
    maya riviera 101

It would be neat to redo the research and see the trends. I'll bet that Playa del Carmen gets more searches per day than Cozumel now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice