Tony C's Trip Report Nov 2014

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by tonyc, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Jen&Kyle

Jen&Kyle I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,396 / 12
    Are you still there? Could you ask about the cost to upgrade to a room with one of those plunge pools or jacuzzis? Or even just one with a balcony? If I understand even those cost a little extra. Thanks!

2. breezesfan

breezesfan Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    YES we are. the section with the whirlpools is still under construction. I will post pixs tomorrow. but there are about 20 rooms that are located on the second floor that have a large private area sitting on top of the Mexican/Italian resturants. I will ask, but they didn't charge us anything for a balcony room. The non Balcony rooms have a large sliding window facing the ocean. They also have a small desk and a sofa.

3. tonyc

tonyc Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello All:

Steve - thanks for starting a new thread for me. Being a newbie, I didn't want to start too many news threads on the same topic. Just trying to fit in and add some value.

Just walked through the door at home and I need to shower up to attend a funeral. I will be back tonight to answer the questions below.

There is lot's of potential here! They just need to improve on the food and the activities.

Be back later tonight.

Thanks,
    Tony :biggrinbandit:

4. tonyc

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A couple questions...
    - did the resort have organized trips to select clubs each night?

Thursday night the hotel organized a 10:30pm shuttle pick up to Captain Hook's Kinky Party. Guest were to register with the VIP rep to attend the event. No cost to the guest. Free liquor. Finger sandwiches provided toward the end of the night. No nudity. Male and female exotic dancers as entertainment + dj playing EDM and hip hop. Mix of people from Oasis Viva and Oasis Sens.

- you mentioned minimal daytime activities. What did they have? Did they have silly games at the pool? Was their organized volleyball? Etc

One day we caught pool aerobics led by MC. I didn't see any organized volley ball. One day there was a salsa/merengue band playing live along with some dancers.

- with all the staff hassling you I assume that was about attending a timeshare presentation? I had read they don't have that YET. I guess it started?

There are folks sitting at desks during the day. I avoided them and gave them no attention. They would chase us down in the lobby, phone our room, and slip flyers under our door. The card slipped under our door says they have a welcoming kit that contains information about the hotel and it's VIP card the contains discounts.

- did they offer room upgrades? If so what was the price for which upgrades? We are curious about cost for balcony and one of the rooms with a plunge pool or jacuzzi.

We were not offered upgrades.

- you mention very little people were at the main on site nighttime dance club. Did they have any activities or themes there? Or just a dj?

We visited the Cayote Bar on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Friday we did not go inside as it was empty. Saturday we went again and they were showing the Manny P boxing match. Sunday they were open, but few people were sitting around the bar drinking and watching the NFL football game. Sunday night the room emptied out and hung out around the pool to watch the circus magic show. One night there was a dj playing EDM. The other nights premixed EDM music was playing.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Great info Tony C. Thanks!

Does seem a bit quiet at the moment. Let's see how things change over the next 6 months or so.

6. tonyc

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I should also add that their heart is in the right place. My wife and I were celebrating our one year wedding anniversary. They were kind enough to leave towel art on our bed along with rose petals. One night they sent up a bottle of wine along with some desserts.

This morning at breakfast by wife went to grab some fruit. She clearly saw mold on the cantaloupe. She also found a blue substance on the ham, but I can't confirm that was mold.

This morning my wife was going to grab some yogurt, but they did not have any granola and minimal other fruit toppings.

I was surprised not to find any oatmeal or any Mexican sweet bread being served.

More on the Omelette station, the cook uses one of three bowls to mix the veggies and egg mix for each customer without any washing of bowls. I don't know about you guys, but the seems a little off to me.

Back to the Mexican restaurant, one day I went there by myself as my wife sat by the pool and had already written off the place. I wanted a light meal. I asked the waiter for a lemonade which is superb I might add. I also asked for an order of chips and guacamole. I also asked for an order of taquitos. The waiter brought my lemonade (no problem). Five minutes later came out to tell me there were no more taquitos. So I asked for the chicken breast mole. After waiting for 10 minutes, I reminded the waiter that I was waiting for the guacamole. He said sure no problem, goes back inside and comes back with pico the gallo and chips (no guacamole). No mention of guacamole or apology. In order not to start any trouble I let it slide. The chicken with mole came out 5-10 minutes later. The chicken breasts were thinly cut and had mole sauce pour over them. Im sorry but that is a short cut version for cooking chicken mole. There is an art to preparing mole and allowing the mole sauce to marinade with the chicken is part of art.

I hope you guys don't think im being picky. I even feel bad writing this stuff.

7. tonyc

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also want mention that the "Cancun on the cheap mentioned on this forum was a wealth of information. Lot's of great places to eat on the cheap. We also enjoyed a place called "Calypso" that sold delicious meat and sea food.

8. Jen&Kyle

Jen&Kyle I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,396 / 12
    Yeah, hopefully when the people come the resort will adjust and have activities to support the crowd. Hard to have the activities if you don't have the people in the right mindset to participate. As everyone knows the people make the activities at TTR and without participation whats the point.

9. robndiane

robndiane Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +93 / 0
    Thanks for the report! Glad we decided on the GP for this March though I'll be this place will come into its own by 2015.

10. Chris and April

Chris and April Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0
    Nice report!! Sounds like the other 6 resorts I went to before discovering TTR.. minimal daytime activities and having to pay $100 night/couple to go to the clubs because the resort is a ghost town..i'm sure it'll pick up as more people start to book though but as of now and next year it definately TTR for us...this feb we may go take a tour to see the property/daytime activities..but leaving TTR in the day may be hard to do

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice