To cancun with a toddler

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by megsaldes, Apr 27, 2009.

1. megsaldes

megsaldes Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My husband and I will be going to Cancun for the first time, along with our 22mo toddler, my sister and her 21yo son. From the little research that I've managed to do so far, I've decided it would be great to set a day aside for Chichen Itza and another day for Xcaret. We'd prefer to spend the rest of our week at the resort (Royal Sands).

I had a few questions:

1) Would it be best to take a cab or a taxi from the airport to Royal Sands? If taxi, how much should we expect to pay?
    2) We don't plan to rent a car for the week, but with a toddler, I was thinking it would be better to rent a car for the day trips than spend extra time on a tour bus that stops at every hotel on the way to/from the attraction (not sure it works out that much cheaper than a tour bus, but certainly more convenient). Alternatively, are there any local cab drivers people know of who may also be trustworthy to hire for the day (and work out cheaper overall than renting a car)? If so, please share contact information.
    3) Best days/times to visit Chichen Itza and Xcaret?
    4) Any other hints/advice on what to do/not to do with a toddler in Cancun?

Thanks!
    msd

2. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    1. Royal Sands provides free Tranportation, just make a Reservation with them either online or on the phone.
    2. You REALLY don't want to rent a car here, drivers are likd "NYC Cabbies" just take a bus or a cab.
    3. Definatley don't drive to Chichen Itza, take the tour it's easier and cheaper and can be quiet nice. Xcaret has a great theatrical show at night, but it makes for a loooong day with a toddler.
    4, Stay out of the sun and rent an umbrella on the beach, oh and don't take him/her to Coco Bongos. lol You will find the Royals offer Daycare service (Additional cost of course) so you can have some time to yourselves.

3. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lol. I guess I am really a NY'er at heart then. When I have rented a car down there I have found myself getting aggravated with the other drivers for going too slow at times. Especially on 307.

I would say that if you are used to driving in a fast paced environment you would do fine renting a car. If you are used to country roads with friendly drivers.....you might have a problem.

4. bncancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah the 307 can be a pain in the a#+ they either go 100mph or 30 mph, it is a very dangerous highway.
    I was speaking more around town.
    Enjoy when you do come down.

5. megsaldes

megsaldes Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. Jeff and Bob in Haverhill

Jeff and Bob in Haverhill Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Meg,

We booked a tour to both Chichen Itza and Xcaret through Thomas Moore. I don't remember the prices, but both tours were GREAT! I highly recommend them - TM is a top notch company.

However, I just read on here that the Mexican government has closed those places due to the flu.

Good luck!

7. jakif

jakif Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just returned yesterday from the Royal Sands. They charge $10.00 per person for pick up at the airport.

I did the Xcaret tour with them last week and it was wonderful and well worth the money. The night show is exceptional! It will be a very long day for the kids through. Make sure you find a spot with shelter as soon as you arrive to give you some relief during the heat of the day.

Enjoy - I miss it already and I have only be back 24 hours.....J

8. K Man

K Man Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

I have been going to Cancun since 1986. I now have a 4 year old who been coming with us the last 3 years. I do not recommend traveling that far with a 22 month old. Besides these places are more for adults.

My advice...Stay in Cancun. Enjoy the hotel. My kid loves the beach & pool, he can care less about the ruins. Also, watch where you eat. We generally go to American places, stay clear of local or Mexican. Both us & our son have never gotten sick since he's been coming. We used to get sick all the time but not anymore. And last but not least, take the bus. It's the best way to get around.

I hope this helps you. Remember this is coming from somebody that has been to going to Cancun for 23 years and has a 4 year old kid.

Kevin

9. bncancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kevin,
    Since I live here and have for 7 years, and my wife is the head of the ER at IMSS. The only reports have been from NY.
    Why would one travel to another country not to indulge in the culture?

10. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is WAY untrue. I have been going for the past 9 years and I have never eaten at an american establisment. Always the local eateries. I have never been sick either.

We even look for some of the local "working mans" bars and they will bring you appetizers when ever you buy a drink and there have been times I dont even know what it is, but I do try everthing offered and NOPE NEVER EVER been sick. Havent liked everything offered but I will try it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice