Tips for a job seeker?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by DC_Manny, Sep 29, 2014.

1. DC_Manny

DC_Manny Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently had a friend take a position in Jamacia and I started to wonder why I never explored living/working somewhere tropical. Both my friend and I are in the restaurant/hospitality (general manager/chef) business and I would assume there are plenty of opportunities in Cancun. Anyone have any tips on where to look for positions that may be available to expats?

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    There are plenty of those type of jobs due to the huge tourist industry but they are not easy for a foreigner to get, plenty of Mexicans can do those jobs.

In order to work legally here you need a Visa. You can only apply for a Visa from your home country and you can apply only after you have been offered a position. So, it's a case of come here, find a job, go back home, wait months for your Visa and then return to take up the position. Unless you have something really special to offer, not many employers can be bothered with that, when they could just give the job to a local and avoid the hassle.

There are illegal jobs, but obviously you have no legal protection and are open to be exploited.

Also remember Mexican pay is very poor compared to the US, Canada and UK. 80% of working Mexicans make less than 6000 Pesos a month - that's about $500 USD. While the particular jobs you expressed interest in would pay more than average you're still only likely to make around 12,000-15,000 pesos (1000-1200 USD) before tax at a guess. That kind of money wouldn't allow for much in the way of a good standard of living.

I'd probably not recommend anyone to move here if they need a job to get by. For retirees with a decent pension and especially folks looking to set up business then there are few better places imho.

3. CancunCory

CancunCory Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Search google for "Get Up and Go Global" and create a profile. They recruit worldwide for jobs all around the world. You will be contracted by them to work for 6 months, 8 months, 1 year, etc. You can find a job as a chef, dancer, musician, movie extra, online teacher (so you can work anywhere in the world), spa massage therapists, animator, the list goes on...

After the contract is up whatever place you work for may sponsor you for a work visa if they like you. Once you have a work visa for whatever country you end up in you can only work for them, but you would still be free to look for a different job in your free time and once you find someone else to hire you the paperwork is really easy for them to change your sponsor (at least my experience in Cancun).

4. Omarknoxville

Omarknoxville Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Cory I've been an actor for the captain hook as jack sparrow and wo years in animation and dj, do you know anything available as for the moment in CancĂșn? Gracias

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice