Tips and tricks to the GP or cancun in general

Discussion in 'Golden Parnassus Forum' started by MandZ, Sep 15, 2016.

1. MandZ

MandZ Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 1
    I searched the forum and didn't see a tips thread that was up to date. Any tips or tricks related to the GP or cancun in general would be greatly appreciated. This will be our 5th trip to Cancun but the first in three years. We have never been to the GP. The tips and tricks posts about TTR was a lifesaver our first trip there.

2. Cheers2US

Cheers2US Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +613 / 2
    We are going to GP in January 2017; our 1st visit there. Not sure what to expect from the resort as I've seen mixed reviews here and on other travel sites. I figure a January day in Cancun is better than a January day in Ohio, no matter what (I hope that's the case!)

As for Cancun tips in general:

-Book your airport-to-resort transportation in advance. Many people here, including me, have had good success with USA Transfers. I think it's $55 RT for 2 people and they take you directly to the resort; no stopping to drop off guests at other resorts.

- Bring lots of sunscreen. It costs $20 US in Mexico! Also maybe bring aloe gel and insect repellant.

-Pack some basic over-the-counter meds. I like to bring a few tabs each of Imodium, Motrin, Tylenol, Zantac, Benadryl. I also bring hydrocortisone and antibacterial creams (I get them from the dollar stores) My husband likes to bring Visine eye drops as the chlorine from the pools can really irritate the eyes.

-Bring a pen on your flight to Cancun. There will be customs/immigration forms to fill out. The forms are printed in English + Spanish. The airlines usually do not have spare pens.

-When you land in Cancun, you will have to go through Immigration. The lines will probably be long but there are usually many agents available.

-After Immigration, you go to baggage claim. After that, you have to go through Customs. They make you push a button. It'll either turn red or green. I have no idea what determines the color that appears, but if it's red, they will inspect your bags.

-After Customs, very important, turn right and walk straight out of the airport. There will be DOZENS of smartly-dressed employees, trying to "help" you with your transportation. Just avoid them. Do not make eye contact with them. Do not answer their questions (even "hi, how are you?") They are time-share sharks. Just keep walking, past the taxi-stand, until you are outside past the glass doors.

-Outside the airport, if you've booked transportation, this is where you will find them. It's a sea of people holding up various signs. You'll see signs for USA Transfers, Best Day transfers, Apple Vacations, bookit.com transfers, Canada Transfers and probably many more. You'll also find taxis here. I'm not sure how much the taxis are. If you booked transportation, find the agent holding the appropriate sign and he will lead you to the shuttle. (We usually tip this guy, and anyone else with the company that helps get us to the shuttle)

-You might want to venture out of the resort and visit the city. The buses are a great way to go. They run about every 3 minutes during the day and only cost $1 per ride. We've taken the bus to the La Isla shopping mall as well as to Mercado 28. I think there's a Walmart near Mercado 28. We weren't impressed with Mercado 28. But we like La Isla. Lots of nice shops and places to eat and drink. The Starbucks there had free wifi (with purchase)

Safe travels!

3. JnLStuck

JnLStuck I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,093 / 0
    The Chicken Teriyaki served in the Asian restaurant was awesome back in 2012!
    The Shangri La is their upscale restaurant. It doesn't require reservations and is typically pretty empty. You can get Sexy Coffee there.
    They serve late night burgers down near the pool that are just like the ones at Paty'Os!
    They do shows a few evenings a week in the theater beneath the tennis courts that are fun and entertaining.

4. vacationfun2

vacationfun2 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +346 / 1
    The old barn across the entry way is very good. The tiki bar is fun but small. The hot tub can be very sexual in the early evening into the late night, early morning. A few stairs between the building and the pool area. Good time, very good food and much better service then TTR. As a disclaimer we have not been since the owner passed and his son is using a management team. So that part is unknown to us.

5. iowa farmers

iowa farmers Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +995 / 10
    where is the Hot tub? its not part of the spa??

6. Kristen78

Kristen78 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +387 / 0
  7. iowa farmers

iowa farmers Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +995 / 10
  8. Kristen78

Kristen78 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +387 / 0
    I haven't been there yet (5 days!!) but from the research I've done, it is *warm* not hot, and the later it gets, the sexier it gets... if you keep the noise down security pretty much leaves you alone as long as whatever is happening isn't "in your face" obvious. :sofa:

9. vacationfun2

vacationfun2 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +346 / 1
    Exactly Kristen78. Don't draw attention and security will leave you alone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice