Tippping un USD

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by CancunViaCO, Feb 22, 2016.

1. CancunViaCO

CancunViaCO Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know a while back, the Mexican government enacted rules not allowing the use of U.S. Dollars in Mexican businesses (resorts, restaurants, stores, etc.). Do these rule affect tipping? I don't want to tip in Dollars if it makes it hard for the employees to exchange. I can always tips in pesos, but as lazy person it's so much easier for me to bring a wad of ones to use at the swim-up bars and buffets.

2. Paul-N-Pam

Paul-N-Pam Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +154 / 0
    It will be our first TTR trip but generally travel to Mexico yearly always used the American dollar for tips or shopping change is in pesos if shopping

3. Larry & Kerry

Larry & Kerry Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been going to Mexico for almost 20 years and have always used American dollars. Most of the people prefer dollars because of the exchange rate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. showme

showme Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 0
    Always got better results with US dollars but haven't been in a few years. I've not heard of any new rule.

5. jamaica me crazy

jamaica me crazy Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    US dollars here. Everyone seems to like them :)

6. DannKathy

DannKathy Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +285 / 2
    We're going to exchange for Pesos 100% this time. For example......cab ride, $30 US or $300 pesos.....that's a better exchange rate than you'll ever find anywhere.........And I had heard at 1 time the resort converted US dollar tips to pesos for the staff at even rate:, but I'm kind of doubting that, so when in Rome as they say............:bandit:

7. Southerncpl

Southerncpl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I just locked in USD>MXN at 19, which basically means that if you're used to tipping $5 USD, they can buy about 50-65 pesos, but my $5 just bought me 95 pesos.

Tip 100 pesos, and it's more convenient for them and is basically a $10 bill that costs you $5.

IMO it's silly to even carry USD since the exchange rate is the best it's ever been...

You'll go far tipping 50pesos every time you need something. The only reason I can see using USD is because you feel the need to show that you're American and TRUST ME - no one gives a shit about that! It's like painting a target on yourself.

8. Southerncpl

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    FYI - if you're thinking about exchanging USD:MXN, do it at your local bank, not in Mexico.

9. DannKathy

DannKathy Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +285 / 2
    our local bank hammered us last time. We're looking for a different option......even exchanging at TTR would have been better than our bank (rhymes with Lace Face Place.........):icon_redface:

10. Southerncpl

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

Wow - my bank doesn't even charge a spread. Maybe a perk of my accounts or something? I'll have to ask about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice