tipping the maid

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by sue-A, Mar 11, 2007.

1. sue-A

sue-A Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, I know there is a lot on tipping the staff etc on this site, and I am sure I saw a post a while ago, that gave the correct wording to leave on a note for the maid that cleans the room to say thank you to her (or him). I would like to print off some notes to take with me,, to leave with a tip on the bed each day, but now I cant find the relevant post. :? Please could somone be kind enough to post me the correct words in mexican so I dont say the wrong thing :oops:
    Many thanks in anticipation
    Sue
    ( only 2 weeks to go, :D )

2. MartinnVegas

MartinnVegas Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "Su propina" should work. If you write any more than this it will get complicated. This is a neutral statement. No gender specified, no confusion. When you leave you can write one that says...

"Muchas gracias por el buen servicio, hasta pronto" and the tip.

The above statment sounds quite 'Mexican', you might want to use the 'gringo' statement and they'll understand it too:

"Mucho gracias por bueno servicio". lol

3. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The language is spanish, not Mexican.

Michelle

4. tele65

tele65 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Michelle. . .I know what you're saying, but I had to laugh. . .the language IS spanish but there are words that are puro mexicano. . por ejemplo. . .chance (chan see) which is used a lot instead of oportunidad. . of course that's spanglish I guess. As is, parquear instead of estacionar for "to park". And then there's chequear (to check). same deal.

Guajolote is a turkey in Mexico (usually used for wild turkey). that's probably either Aztec or Mayan in origin wouldn't you think? Anyway, it's not used in South America. Pavo is turkey and even pavo salvaje for a wild turkey.

yep. . .there's spanish. . .and then there's mexican :)

5. sue-A

sue-A Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    tipping the maid.

Many thanks for the advice, I can now write them a little note they will be able to understand, we arrive on monday and I can hardly wait,
    cheers guys,
    Sue

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice