Tipping at AI resorts:

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by CrazyCunuk, Jan 25, 2007.

1. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah I have found on all of my trips, most poeple dont' tip. And when we go out with hte hotel staff and go to the bars at night, me and my freinds will tip[ the server, and then when it comes to the endof the night, or we are moving onto another bar, the guys we are with either A/ take off or B/ act like what hte heck do I tip him for..

Looks really good when two chicks are left standing there with the table of drinks you have drank all night. and the waiter looking at me and my freind going, ok give me more money. After we gave him like 10 bucks..

So not fair! People need to learn

2. Singer

Singer Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very old topic

As Michael F. stated this is a well visited topic. Tipping; if it feels good , do it, if not; don't. When I was very young I had a Nun tell me if I put money in the poor box because I wanted to then, it was a good thing but if I put money in the box and regretted it; then I was doing it for the wrong reason. Advice I have carried my entire life. I am not trying to draw a comparison of tipping and charity but my premise is; "do it because you want to , not because you feel like you have to" :D

Here's a tip: Por favor and muchas gracias are two of the most important and meaningful phrases in the Spanish language.

Peace! :cool:

3. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not to nitpick, especially because Jamie clearly expressed leaving items IN ADDITION to cash. But don't get too unique....I would bet that more than 99% of Mexican people living in Cancun have no clue what the Soprano's is. So trying to give unique gifts will probably leave many say, "Huh?". And also, maybe bath gel, but no bubble bath...no bathtubs in Mexican homes.

I always contend that one should leave money always and forget the gifts, unless you're returning to the same hotel and have formed a relationship with a particular staff member.

Also, to generalize a bit, Mexican people are general quite proud and would not take handouts from people. The only exception I've seen is a crazy baseball fantaic who gets loopy over baseball gear and gets hats from guests whom he has known for some time. Being adults, most would much rather have cash and decide how to spend it themselves.

Case in point about cultural differences: my dad wanted to buy a present for the BF for Xmas and bought it himself...came to me with a Patriot's T-shirt. Huh? I thought it was very sweet that he went shopping for the boy, but I knew that this shirt would never get worn. So I had to return it and buy him something more suitable to him.

4. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another tip (pardon the pun) is look at your check from a restaurant or bar to make sure the tip (propina) is not already included. Some places will add the tip in automatically.

5. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh, just another thought about tipping and AI.

I was always under the impression that AI staff were paid a higher wage to compensate for the fact that tipping was not required at these resorts. Not so...the BF just got his first job at an AI, and with what he bings home now, he's not sure how to pay the rent, bills, eat, pay for transportation, etc.

6. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Very true

7. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Regarding what Michael said, this is especially true if you're from a country that is nototious for having people who "don't believe" in tipping. In most cases, Americans don't have to worry about this because they are known for being fair tippers, generally.

8. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Re: Very old topic

Damn! Talk about random...Singer posted only twice all last year and now posts before the first month of this year is over. At this pace...can we expect at least 12 posts for 2007? :lol:

Good to see you chip in, "old-timer" (referring to your forum veteran status rather than how many winters you have seen, of course).

9. Singer

Singer Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL !

Ya never know ! Maybe even thirteen, considering I've posted twice already this month . LOL !!! :lol: I've been watching , with great interest, about the progress in Cancun since I have many friends who depend on the economy there. Mi esposa y yo been vacationing in the States this past year with family. Hopefully, we will be back in Cancun this Fall.Take care amigo and thanks for all the helpful information you've given over the years.

Peace! :cool:

10. muddysuzi

muddysuzi Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This topic leads "newbies" to believe they MUST tip everyone at an all inclusive resort to have a good time and this simply is NOT true.

One of the reasons myself and my family go to Cancun and to all inclusive is because it is friendlier than any resort in the US (sad but true) and the price cannot be beat. We always camp on our vacations to save money so going to an all inclusive is such a treat for us. We are humble people and enjoy everything about these vacations. I never stay in a hotel on my vacation unless we go AI. I am usually in a tent or a camper (although I love that too!). Now I am being told I must spend an additional $200-$500 tipping everyone at the resort because I am "supposed to". I just don't agree!!

I go out of my way to make sure the maid, bartender, waitstaff etc KNOW how much I appreciate them. I never ask for frivolous drinks or complicated dishes, I am very easy to please. I don't make a huge mess in my room or demand everything my way. I treat the staff the way I would want to be treated. With respect and courtesy.

I tip who I feel I want to tip. A good attitude, kind actions and words and the words por favor and gracias go farther than a dollar with me.

If I were a millionaire I would give them all a few hundred bucks!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice