Timeshares 101

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Denver, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Denver

Denver Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looking for some help here (a lot actually).

Pros? Cons? (Translation-are 90+% of them scams in the end)

Thanks

2. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think the bottom line with timeshare is that they work for some people and not for others.

I have one at BBG (I have one of the very first ever sold by BBG) and love it. It definitely saves me money.

But, I am lucky enough to be able to get $99 each way fares to Cancun so that plus the AI really does save me money over a package deal. It may not benefit other people who have to pay more for their airfare.

Also, I don't use the timeshare to go anywhere but BBG. I'm there just about every 5 weeks so I am more than getting my use out of it. And I beleive I've gotten more out of it than the original cost of the timeshare.

That being said, because mine is one of the original ones sold the payment structure is somewhat different than what it is today. I could not buy what I have now for anything close to what mine cost at the time.

3. Albert in NM

Albert in NM Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    PM sent hope it helps you Albert in NM

4. Denver

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Albert.

Is it common(the norm?) to have "significant" per person AI charges on top of everything else? Hell, that can be $400-600 a NIGHT!!

I can find places that sleep 6 for $1k a week (prime weeks).....

5. Fletch

Fletch Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hey if i can share my 2 cents

back in 04 we stayed at my buddy (CHAZ)'s bosses time share at the Royal Sands. It was fantastic, great food, great service and a full grocery store on the first floor. Unfortunately for us there were no spring breakers, but its ok, I would def like to invest in something like that when I get older

6. Rich and Linda

Rich and Linda Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Fletch-You're wise beyond your years! :D

We've owned at the Royal Resorts for over 14 years and couldn't be happier! Low pressure sales- the resorts really do sell themselves

We also own a week at the Royal Sunset (NOT connected to the ROYAL RESORTS) and wouldn't go there with your money. Just use it to trade through RCI and go to other places.

In other words, buyer beware. Some are great, some are *ahem* NOT.

7. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I agree, put my buddy alan up in a timeshare last year and it was wonderful! Doing the same for another group of friends this year. I know in the future, I want to invest in one myself, cancun has really become like a second home to me, would love to keep going there each year, nothing like it!

8. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are staying at an all inclusiveresort you will have to pay the all inclusive fee.

Your timeshare buys you the room but not the food and drink.

As to how much, each resort is a bit different. BBG charges their AI fee based on the season. This time of year it is $90 per person per night.

9. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Royal Resorts are considered by many to be the number one company in the world for satisfied owners. They set the standards for legitimacy in the business, but you must be careful with a lot of the others. The Avalons and the Mayan Palace have pretty bad reputations, in fact the Avalons main guy has been arrested for scamming people out of millions of dollars.

Many folks recommend buying on the secondary market in order to be able to do lots of research beforehand. If you find something you like, post the name of the company and I am sure you'll get lots of feedback.

10. Denver

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's good to know. I rented a unit at the Royal Mayan last year(off of Redweek), and it was pretty damn nice. Looks like passing up the AI stuff is the way for me to go-especially given the amount of time that we'd spend on the town.

Thanks for the info!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice