time for a change...

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by shames, Aug 8, 2013.

1. shames

shames Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys,
    iam thinking of moving to playa de carmen. I have a friend living there with some connections but im wondering how your experiences are with a German who speaks english, arabic and obviously german. I have a teaching license and I worked two years as a social worker in abu dhabi... but iam more then happy to work in the tourism field too, since i worked as a receptionist and tour guide in Australia a couple of years ago..
    So my question is, how are the chances for me to get a job in either the education branch or hospitality section...

Regards
    Shames

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You seem to have identified the two areas where demand and your background will match, here. There could easily be opportunities for you in either of those fields. There will be at least two issues....

It will take time on the ground here to find the opportunities and get an employer's commitment to go through the immigration process to get you permission to work; then, a return trip to your home country will be necessary to obtain the visa to enter the country to work. (Changes in the Mexican Law dated from November 2013 have made this two step process necessary.)

If you decided to teach, for most, anything more than a modest living will not be in the cards. For example, the highest pay I've heard of for those employed on an hourly basis at local schools and universities as language teachers is 180 pesos per hour: most pay less, with the range being from about 120-160 at the better paying schools. The low end is 50 pesos per hour.

Full time positions exist, but the turnover is from zero to none, making it hard to get on anywhere, full time.

You might do better than this in the tourism industry, but I'll have to leave it to those with experience in that line of work to spell it out.

3. kandl

kandl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Playa Del Carmen is awesome. Never had any trouble with a language barrier & I am English speaking girl with a Southern Twang who is fluent in American Sign Language.
    My Spanish is just enough to get me what I need! hehehe

4. shames

shames Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys that sounds all really good!!! well i hope eveything will work out just fine :) kandl, how is the arabic community? im just tinking of the job option as a tour guide, are there many?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice