Tigres to leave MLB?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Feb 7, 2017.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    ...la directiva del Club de Béisbol Tigres de Quintana Roo tomó la difícil decisión de separarse voluntariamente de la LMB.

This is a quote from a press release put out by the Tigres, yesterday. The whole statement appears at the link, below. What the article seems to be saying is that minor league baseball in Mexico is no longer the opportunity for young Mexicans to earn a career in professional baseball that it once was, and this motivated their actions. Perhaps someone else can help explain the significance of this statement for the future of the team, in Cancun.

COMUNICADO OFICIAL DE PRENSA | Club de Baseball Tigres de Quintana Roo

2. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Local newspaper quoted the owners as saying the team is for sale; that a new buyer will have the privilege of deciding the name of the club and relocate it, if desired; so, bottom line, the question of the future of the Tigres is entirely up in the air.

The local basketball team, the Pioneros, has already disbanded and the players dispersed to various other teams so our opportunities to attend professional sporting events is declining rapidly in Cancun. It's a real pity because seeing these teams play was a big part of local, family recreation- especially baseball- which wasn't expensive at all and many poorer families could enjoy an evening out with the whole family.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It's been painful to watch but it now appears that the Tigres will stay in Cancun and start their new season on March 31 with a series against the Leones de Yucatan. The team has been bought by a group of investors represented by Fernanda Venezuela, so good news for those who enjoy going to these games.

4. JoeMar

JoeMar Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    We're glad to hear that they will be staying. Any idea of when the 2017 schedule will be released?

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
  6. Alanrb64

Alanrb64 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 0
    That would suck if they do leave i saw a home game last june and the game was my first time watching any baseball and loved it

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You're in luck, Alan, they're still here and have started the preseason games. First home game is April 4. Unfortunately, they still haven't put up a new calendar for the 2017 season on their website.

8. redhed

redhed Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hola V! I've been watching your thread for schedule news....I finally see the schedule posted! Looks like lots of games next week.......I don't see any games times......I know they're usually in the evenings but don't remember the times....thinking 6 pm.....I don't know..... will prolly go to a couple from Thurs to Sunday....do you know the times?

Gracias....

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi, Red! You caught it before I did. They're still struggling to get it right, on my browser the image is almost too small to read.

In years past they played games on M-F at 8 PM; on Saturdays at 7 PM, and on Sundays at 5 PM (my memory).

The calendar, such as I can see it, is different from the info they published a few weeks ago, with more home games in the first week of home games, not a bad thing at all!

Some people avoid opening night: it's just too busy, too many people, too much chaos; so, having a few more games that week will allow the rest of us to settle in and enjoy.

Hope to see you there!

V.

10. redhed

redhed Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the reply V

Your times sound very familiar....hehe....don't know why they don't post times.....but then again.....never surprised.

We attended the opening game last year and once before....It is an experience for sure We don't need any of those for awhile..

We love baseball as I can see you do! Maybe we will cross paths one day

Go Tigres

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice