The weekly Immigration rant

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Or as my Dad says "like it or lump it" :wink:

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim - Your words are very wise and have been resonating with me since I first read them.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That article makes a lot of sense. It never made sense to me that you could go from non-immigrant status to citizenship, logically it's wrong. But the fact is that when I moved here I was advised by INM and by a lawyer to go for FM3 because it was an easier jump to citizenship. And now it's all for nothing.

I'll be getting an FM2 when I renew. But if I have to wait 5 more years to get citizenship I might as well go inmigrado and then I don't have to deal with INM and also don't have to go through the citizenship process.

Thanks for posting that Jim.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve - I just met with Mauricio today to discuss my immigration situation. He says it's best if I renew my FM3 this time. And then he's going to look into whether I can still file for citizenship directly, or whether I should file to change my FM3 to an FM2 right away and then file for citizenship.

He stated clearly that as a foreigner married to a Mexican (or with a Mexican child) having lived here legally for more that the required 2 years I (and you and Kelly and others) do qualify for citizenship. The question is will the citizenship office accept our application for citizenship given that we have FM3s. Or must we get FM2s first. He's looking in all this for me, I will let you know how it plays out.

But one thing I learned is that you, with your new FM3, can file to change it to an FM2 if that's to your benefit. You don't need to wait until it expires.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    An update. We got to INM and Mauricio and husbandito got into a huddle with the INM official in charge of approving FM2s and FM3s. She told them she would allow me to switch to an FM2, so we sat there in the office and changed the application and the letters. So I ended up filing to change to an FM2 after all.

The bad news is the FM2 fees are much higher than the fees for the FM3.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Thanks Kim, I missed your earlier post

We were told different by INM just a few weeks ago, but I can quite believe what we were told is wrong.

Is "Mauricio" you mention the lawyer guy? If so, I may have to get in touch.

How much more? I dont really mind if it gets the damn thing sorted once and for all. Yet ask me tomorrow and I may say I'm just sick of the whole thing and we'll go live somewhere else - depends which way the wind is blowing.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, the Mauricio I mentioned is Mauricio Mendoza. We went to him to see what he could tell us about the citizenship stuff, which he's looking into now.

As for the price of the FM2, I'm not sure yet because they've changed the rules and you don't pay now until you are approved. So next week I should pay. The person who took my application said the price was around $2500 mxp, but she wasn't sure exactly because they've just raised the price a little with the new year.

Immigration here is a pain in the neck. But in the U.S. they compare your fingerprints to the FBI database, and they make you get a chest x-ray to check for TB, and they make you get a physical, and the cost is WAY, WAY more to get permission to live there.

In your case I think you would find that they treat you better if your immigration status was based on your marriage. They seem to favor immigrants married to Mexicans from what I've seen.

9. 4NSPY

4NSPY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does an FM2 deem you a resident of Mexico? From what I gather an FM3 makes you a year round visitor - not a resident.

I also believe that along with costing more money than the FM3, the FM2 limits the time you can spend outside of Mexico in the five year period. Also did hear that on an FM2 you can't have a foreign plated vehicle here?

All given, even on an FM2 there is still five years more of dealing with the chaos/incompetence that goes on in the immigration office and you have the pleasure of paying more.

Unless I am missing something I can't see any benefit to the FM2?

Please tell me where I am wrong, and that the benefits of the FM2 outweigh the FM3. javascript:emoticon(':roll:')

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    An FM2 puts you on the path to something akin to permanent residency. An FM3 is for people who do not wish to live in Mexico permanently (that's why they say "no inmigrante" in them).

After 5 years with an FM2 your status changes and then you can work without getting permission, and if I understand correctly you stop having to renew with INM each year (so you stop paying).

You are correct that there are "downsides" to having an FM2. You can't be out of the country as much with an FM2, for most of us this is not an issue. You can't have a foreign plated car with an FM2 (for most of us this doesn't matter at all). And it costs more to have an FM2 (but it's only for 5 years).

But if you want permanent residency here then an FM2 is the right way to go. And it's only more expensive until you get the permanent residency, then it's free (if my understanding is correct). So in the end it's cheaper, and you can work without permission.

Most of the people on this board, who live here, should have FM2s. And many of us have been here long enough now that we would be shortly enjoying the benefits of permanent residency if we'd gotten FM2s instead of FM3s.

When I came here 4½ years ago INM was recommending I get an FM3, even though I told them I wanted to live here permanently.

Here's a better explanation of FM2 vs. FM3:
    http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26682&highlight=fm2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice