The weekly Immigration rant

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    After going through a right load of hassle to renew my third FM3 a few weeks ago it was eventually approved and I was happy that it was going to be my last, since I'd be finally able to get my application for citizenship in.

No such luck, turns out the rules have changed again. Now you need an FM2 before being able to apply for citizenship. The rules changed just a few weeks ago.

It would have been just as easy for me to apply for an FM2 as an FM3 (albeit a slightly higher cost) but did anyone let us know during the renewal process, pass out a flyer or put a poster on the immigration office wall to advise people? Of course not.

We checked today if it's possible to change my category, but No I have to wait until one month before my current FM3 expires and then apply for an FM2. So I have to go through the whole ridiculous process and expense again, and I can't start that off until mid September :roll:

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not only do you now need an FM2 to apply for citizenship but there is now a citizenship test. I'm kicking myself that I didn't get it together to apply last year, but I was so busy then that I couldn't think.

Since Citizenship is granted by a different governmental agency than immigration it's understandable that INM wouldn't actually get it together and tell anyone, they might not even have known. Stupid but true.

Immigration and citizenship in the US is a royal PITA but at least it's all handled by one agency.

3. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Yep, stupid but true!

4. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As far as I know, you have always needed an FM-2 before applying for citizenship. I needed one 5 years ago.

5. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How long do you need to hold an FM2 to apply? (if you've already had an FM3) Is it just one year...or many?

6. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What a nightmare eh!!

Because I am married to a Mexican can I apply for an FM2 after my FM3 expires in Feb?? Does that mean I have the right to work as well, Best Day do my FM3 for me at the moment?

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim - It used to be that if you had an FM3 you could apply for citizinship after 5 years if you were Rentista and after 2 or 3 years if you were either a parent of a Mexican child or married to a Mexican.

8. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Argh, now I am kicking myself for not doing it right after my last renewal. Crappity crap, more hoops to jump through.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The test is apparently 10 questions culled from a pool of 1000. No fun.

I honestly think that if you put up with MARRYING a Mexican that they should just GIVE you citizenship as a reward for all your patience!!! :lol:

10. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Here, here!

So if you fail, do you have to make an application from scratch with all the BS that that entails? 10 from 1000 I dont fancy my chances much. Why can't it be like the driving test :)

Every day, going back home seems more and more inviting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice