The Wall....

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by LadynTramp, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,611 / 14
    I'm assuming in the above example that you guys don't export the crude for free, right? There's the cost vertical of the resource itself, another for transport, etc. I'd bet that's at least a 3-party process if not more, with up-ticks in the price at each point, knowing the oil industry.

Then we get it, apply mad skillz to it, not just "labor," just saying.... Labor is that dude I see stacking boxes in a warehouse, or the night stocker at the grocery store, what they do in those refineries only barely qualifies. Sort of like saying the pilot of a United Airlines flight is "labor." But I see your point.

I was curious about the numbers, because of the disparity in size (by population, NOT acreage) of the States and Canada. If you find the same google stats as I did, you'll note the below:

The total population of the USA in 2013 was 316.5 million.
    Canada's total population in 2013 was 35.6 million. (In comparison, the State of California alone at the same time was 38.4 million)

So, a bit more than 9 people to 1 in the States vs. Canada (right at 9.21:1).

$16.77 Trillion USD in 2013 was the USA total Gross Domestic Product
    $1.827 Trillion USD was Canada total Gross Domestic Product

Again, a smidge more than a factor of 9 to 1 (It was 9.18:1).

My point being, right near equal per capita.

The above didn't come out the way I thought it might. To me, it underlines how similar Canada and the States actually are, on the big things. As t little things, check this out:

Compare The United States To Canada

Ack! Other than using more energy, and it being generally colder, Canada seems a nice place to be.

It is too bad you don't have good football.

2. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2

the capita thing really didn't apply in my equation

was basically saying for every dollar of raw product (oil,wood,steel,, ect) we export,,,,, we import a dollar of finished product from the states ,, ( the total was with in 10% ) .

Its the same with cars ,, a specific model may be built in Ontario,, but we import all the rest.

Don't see what Trump wants to talk about ,, they already have it in there best interest

3. jnine

jnine I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2,833 / 3
    I understand the idea of preventing illegal border crossings, but there is no point in building another wall. There are several already! I've spent a lot of time in the Southwest desert testing vehicles, and I assure you there is an enormous steel fence already in place. In some places there are several. It's 4 " steel square tubing with about 6" between. It is like a giant, steel picket fence about 16' tall or more, and it runs for hundreds of miles. In some areas there are several fences (like south of San Diego). The reason it is slatted is so wind, water, and small animals can pass through. Any new wall would require openings for drainage and wildlife, and there are several major rivers that either are part of, or cross the border that would make a wall impractical. You can ride your ATV right up to the current wall / fence in many areas since it is desert, and I have. However, it also a formidable barrier that you're not going to cross without a LOT of effort. There is an access road on the U.S side with green border control trucks constantly on the move, and the top of the fence is lined with listening devices and cameras. My point is, there already is a huge, very significant fence/wall in place. Building a concrete wall would seem to be a huge waste and anyone determined enough to try and cross will find a way. With a little thought I'm sure we can find a better solution to securing a border.

4. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,611 / 14
    Donald.... so... now I'm confused. To me, it looks like US-Canada trade is working the way it's supposed to? $1 out & $1 in? if by Trump talk, you mean his wanting to re-engineer NAFTA, he's not saying it, but I'm almost certain it has to do with southward issues for us, rather than northward ones.

But then, he's him and I'm me and I can easily be wrong.

5. Vince & Wendy

Vince & Wendy Welcome to Never, Never Land! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +792 / 0
    A large number of illegals actually enter via airports on a visa.
    They just don't leave after it expires.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice