The Superbowl sucks...discuss

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Mr Bigglesworth, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree...I'm not a Colts fan or a Bears fan but I am an avid football fan.

I watch the SuperBowl for the love of the game.

2. Fletch

Fletch Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    im with you both on this.....I dont see what point this has.....you say you are not bashing football , but all you are doing is bashing football. Soccer is the biggest sport worldwide, yes that is a given but the fact of the matter is, the majority of Americans can care less about soccer. To some people, the thought of kicking a ball around for 90 minutes is interesting, and I wont bash that, but to some it really isnt. The NFL is the only American sport where we dont have teams from other countries, its strictly an American sport. At the end of the year, when theres only two teams remaining, that tells us that we wont have our sport for another 7 months, so we have to send the season off with a bang. So maybe you dont go out and have a party for it, and maybe I dont go out and party for the world cup, its the same thing.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Yo Andy, where you been?

Went to a superbowl party tonight (thanks Deana) loved the party, the chat etc. A 3 to 4 hour game, ball in play for about 20 minutes total, 10 players on the pitch at one time from a squad of 50.

One of the guys from the winning team (I forget who the team was) in the post match interview pronounced his team as the "WORLD Champions" LOL

Aww come on Sparkey, a billion people didnt watch it, that's what they say in the US but it aint true, by a long way.

Football is the only worldwide sport.

4. Fletch

Fletch Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    there was actually a discussion about that at the party in my place tonight haha. One said how are they world champions if they only play here in the states. Then I said well there is NFL Europe and the CFL Canadien Foootball League, and we determined a tournament is the only way to determine it haha

Also the NFL will play one game in England next season (side note)

5. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with Mr. Bigglesworth on this one though. I have a hard time calling a team a "World Champion" in any sport unless it is opened to all countries. In my mind, Olympic Champions are World Champions.

It goes without saying that no team here in the U.S. could compete with others across the globe as "World Champions" when it comes to "football". However "GridIron"as Mr. Bigglesworth calls it, is another subject. Soccer or "football" as most of the world calls it, is no where as physical as American Football is. Although it is the worlds' most popular sport, it is not even close to being as physical as our version of football. I concur that there is checking and physical contact in "football" but nothing compared to the sport that is played on American soil.

I believe that it's the brutality and physicality of man versus man, that makes this sporting event a global event. There may be NFL Europe and the CFL, but honestly... those players are only minor leagues compared to the NFL.

6. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just wanted to add another note... We also would lack in the world of rugby. As brutal as the NFL is, rugby is another sport and there are a lot of countries that are many level's ahead of the United States.

7. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys for taking the bait.Was only a wind up really (and a very successful one at that) ; Mr Zippyzap; thanks for some well balanced and educated points. Glad you hastily added the thing about rugby;no helmets or padding;now thats tough!!! Canada have an okay team but US not so hot ("The Eagles") ;suppose Rugby really is a minority sport in the states;probably behind lacrosse in the scheme of things.Currently the Six best nations in the Northern Hemisphere; England,Ireland,Scotland, Wales ,France and Italy are playing in the Six Nations Cup.This could be fun this year as Ireland are due to play England in Dublin on St patricks Day;both could be in with a shout of winning the thing; so this could be a title decider;should be fun!!!

The point really was, that as Steve will tell you, there really is fanatical tribal rivalry between clubs in soccer (which sometimes gets out of hand as events in Italy showed this weekend (a policeman killed in violence between club "fans" in Sicily)); Ask Steve how much he loves Derby County Football Club (he supports Nottingham Forest).When it comes to the World Cup however, that is country vs country, hence the massive global audience.

Fletch..appreciate your comments and apologise if I offended.The "World Champions" tag is interesting, and whilst i can see how it works with football..How can it apply to baseball when Cuba and Japan (to name but two) aren't invited? I hear they're pretty useful at the game...

The USA have more kids playing soccer than the entire total population of Great Britain;but when it comes to college time; they all go for the traditional US Sports.If their development continued, you guys would win the World Cup all the time.There is a hope that Mr Beckham's arrival at LA Galaxy will help promote the sport;but I doubt it will ever catch on like the other sports.If Pele, Beckenbauer, Cruyff and George Best, and hosting the World Cup in 94 can't do it...I doubt even David Beckham can.

One thought though...I know you folks like winning stuff (and you're great at most things), but around the time of the Ryder Cup, there was a suggestion from an American sports journalist that you folks may stop watching the event if you kept on losing to Europe.Not my words, but maybe you folks would watch the sport more if you were good at it? Personally I think it's inevitable that you will get better;your team underachieved at the last World Cup; but you now qualify all of the time;It would be a travesty if your nation got to the World Cup Semi Final and hardly any of you were watching.In Japan you got to the last eight but most US citizens didnt even know...

:roll:

8. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only football I watched yesterday was Man Utd embarrassing the Spurs in front of their home crowd.

I think I may have been one of the only people around here in New York that was not watching the Stupid Bowl last night. On the down side though, there was nothing else any good to watch on TV becasue none of the other networks wanted to compete with the station airing the Stupid Bowl.

Not trying to bash "football" here............just saying that I would rather watch Football instead.

9. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good point there. I also really enjoy watching golf. I of course have a few favorite players to watch, but I still enjoy watching regardless of who is on the course. The American reaction to the Ryder Cup has been interesting. The general feel I get is that the US golf scene is sort of ignoring it, so that they do not have to talk about it and acknowledge how terrible the US has done in the tourney recently. No matter who wins the Ryder, it is always a great event to watch in my opinion.

As far as international football is concerned........I find myself following England much more than the US team myself. I suppose I should be supporting the home side, and I do for the most part. It's just that watching England play is usually more exciting of a game to me. England intl matches are advertised and broadcasted more as well on the Fox Soccer Channel. They have been showing commercials for the upcoming against Spain all week here.

10. B & B

B & B Guru Registered Member

The Hub of the Niagara Pennisula, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I will acknowledge that the better players do play in the NFL as compared to the CFL, however they are two separate games, different amount of players on the field, different set of rules, less downs resulting in more passing, different size field etc.,

The reason the NFL has better players is because the pay is about 10 times better. However, just because you are successful in the NFL does not mean you would be successful in the CFL as evidenced by Ricky Williams this past summer in Toronto who only had mild success as compared to his success in the NFL.

Also, the CFL has been a very successful grooming league to the NFL, for instance, Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia, Mike Vanderjacht and Doug Flutie.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice