The owner of the City...

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by P H I L A D E L P H, Mar 2, 2008.

1. BCstandsFor

BCstandsFor I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ACTUALLY, I dont see the fact that 50 in years past was booked, and now we have Flo rida, and Akon, as a testiment of who the the city can pull in. I think its more of an example of whats happening to the music industry.

There are ALOT of smaller hiphop acts, getting popularity and fading out quick, with these new dance songs and so forth. Even 50's appeal is starting to wear off. The only person that really trump 50 at this point is hiphop, is Kanye West, and album came out a while ago, so I would'nt expect to see him there. Ther really is'nt anyone in hophop right now, that should be on the spring break list, except for those that have hot songs out right now. Anyone else, would just be a reprise of old material.
    Jayz? please. There tons of people bigger than the ones booked, but hardly any of them have hits out right now. The hot joints this year so far is flooded with new comers.

Funny thing is, I think Snoop drops his new album ON March 11th.

2. rikib004

rikib004 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good point BC... Hip hop is in the slumps and has been for a few years I believe, personally 50's last album SUCKED and Kanyes is not as good as his dropout album

3. BCstandsFor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thaaank you! I hated Kanyes new album. totally the opposite of his 1st two. And I loved dropout, and late registration the same. Graduation is so depressing, and too up Timbos ass in style. I know why Kanye did that album...but I dont have to like it.

4. nmarcks

nmarcks Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    You must also understand regardless of acts every club down there during spring break is packed now. Times are much different for all businesses in Cancun. Throwing money at big time acts I don't think is a wise business move in 2008. Plus the City is established now and isn't the new club in the big pond so they needed to make a splash. Back in the mid and early 90's Cancun was still building itself as a destination for Spring Breakers. Which is part of the reason MTV was brought in on a yearly basis and hotels and clubs brought in big time acts. Now that Cancun is one of the top destinations for Spring Break I think many resorts and clubs have pulled back on some of the extras to draw people in. Also Cancun in a whole over the last 15 years has really built itself as a year around destination. So clubs and resorts don't need to rely on certain times of the year to make there $$$$$$$ as much as they had to in the past.

Nick and Renee

5. rikib004

rikib004 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tell ya who I do like... Yung Joc...Love his albums both of them!!

6. P H I L A D E L P H

P H I L A D E L P H Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    your point about snoop contradicts the rest of your post. rick ross has hits and is a bigger act than anyone there. lil wayne....there are plenty of large acts to be had this year. telling me that akon has a current hit, you're crazy. all of your points are moot.

mtv comes back to cancun for real (not that crap they had last year but a real mtv spring break filming) and there will be plenty of A-listers that follow.

7. P H I L A D E L P H

P H I L A D E L P H Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if you look at spring break numbers, they used to be up to over 100,000 spring breakers a year. now i think its like between 20,000-40,000.

from the years 2000-2005, cancun was peaking. i don't think they were bringing in big names back then because they were still building.

8. BCstandsFor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll agree I think MTV also has a real effect to what artists are going down there.

I think I acknowledged full well that Snoop dropping his new lp during peak weak, is a contradiction. I clearly was not using that to prove my previous point. HOWEVER, I will EASILY add Snoop to the slew of Iconic hiphop acts, that have taken a bit of a fall in stature to the state of the music biz. Not saying snoop is wack now, but no way he's at his peak anymore, not due to his music, or likeability, but solely to what is popular now in hiphop...which is silly dance music. Akon just happens to be a seasoned pro at this point at what he does, while still being fairly new. Flo rida has a hit song. Neither of them are 50, or Jayz, or Eminem...and neither of them will cost as much either,....on the other hand, 50 Jayz and Eminem, dont have the hottsest songs out right now....and you can add snoop to that list.

Rick Ross, is no biggie, snoop, Em, 50, Luda(at his peak). Rick Ross is more of a: Akon, Fat Joe,...and anyone else along those lines.

Who would'nt want lil wayne...oh but wait..Weezy would have to drop an Album first!!! LoL! Dude keeps jumping on other peoples songs, and pushing out old Volumes from old mix tapes, Yet has no songs of his OWN on the radio!! :lol: So he's scratched off the list.

And if I had a choice between Akon and Rick Ross...if those were the choices...then you can see now why Akon is there. Hell these are your OWN choices, and by a simple means of elimination, you see why we have what we have this year.

Its not just 1 thing in particular, its the result of everything. But I think the biggest thing is that, there are no REAL dominant Icons running Hiphop on the Radio...not like they used to. Eventhough 50 dropped an lp not long ago, he STILL has fierce competition on the radio with Souljaboy.
    And hands down that kid made a bigger joint than 50 did all last year...so whats a club to do? They can save lots of dough on Souljaboy, and anyone along those lines...and still have the hottest songs performed live on in thier venue. Its a no brainer really.

9. NickyD

NickyD I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Chris Brown is...

10. trigger2002

trigger2002 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HUGGGGE rite now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice