The death Penalty in Mexico

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Jim in Cancun, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A couple of States are discussing (Q.ROO among them) and a couple actively promoting the reinstallation of the death penalty in Mexico for certain crimes. A proposal has already gone to the Congress to change the Constitution to permit it and leave it up to the individual states.

Some states have more serious security problems than others including kidnapping and drug-related crimes (although I don't think any of them want the death penalty installed for murder AMONG drug traffickers!).

Mexico is currently among many nations that have taken the "moral high ground" and do not permit extradition to countries like the U.S. if the country will be asking for the death penalty. Since this is at a federal level rather than a State level I am not sure how they would handle that.

What are your opinions on the death penalty in Mexico?

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Personally I'm against the death penalty no matter what.

But if it is in place it is absolutely critical that the legal system be refined so as to prevent it being applied to anyone who is innocent. And Mexico's legal system is FAR too immature to do that.

If the death penalty comes to Mexico then innocent people will be put to death.

3. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with you 100% RG but, to play the devil's advocate, there are a lot of innocent people being put to death every year now--by the bad guys.

4. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seems to me, that anyone actively involved in violent crimes or the drug trade are subject to the death penalty on the street every day of their lives due to their activities, so I don't see how it would have any kind of deterrent effect or how it would help lower crime, then you also have to deal with the potential of innocent people getting caught up in it...

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, I just don't buy the idea that the threat of the death penalty is any kind of deterrent at all, especially not to mafiosos or kidnappers or people who might use violence to carry out their bad deeds.

Since I've been in Mexico I've had personal knowledge of several people who were essentially framed or were held responsible for crimes that they really didn't have anything to do with. Miscarriages of justice in Mexico are so common as to be "normal." Mexico has no business entertaining the idea that it can fairly enact the death penalty.

As for the innocents caught in the crossfire...well, Mexico is a largely lawless country...so what can be expected? I don't have an answer beyond "raise your kids not be mafia material and to be good citizens" and maybe in a generation or two Mexico's culture will be less of a hotbed for mafia activity (not that culture is the only factor, proximity to the US is probably a bigger factor but if this were a law-abiding culture it would help).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice