The Brexit Divide???

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by marshe, Jun 2, 2016.

1. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Now we'll just have to see what happens next. The vote was somewhat unexpected, but was going to be very close to call.

I can see the shock waves going very far but the real question is how deep will they go. Will this block Turkey from entering the EU which might swing that country closer to the radicals? Will the US market tumble because of the vote? Will it change the economy of Britain, Canada, and the US?

Tons of questions and very few answers other than pure speculation.

2. marshe

marshe The Original Hottie and Hellraiser Registered Member

when not on vacation, home based 25 mns from Toron
    Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    Gonna be a Black Friday in June on the markets today.

Canuck Buck is already getting hammered

3. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Maybe with a devalued pound it might be a good time to plan that London vacation. Just a thought.

Most of the negative reaction seems to be coming from the entertainment crowd which doesn't seem to have much of a grasp of reality so I'm not sure if things are nearly as bad as they want you to believe. It will all sort out in due time so we'll just wait and see.

As with all major news events there is an immediate reaction which is indicative only of panic. As things become more clearly defined we'll know what the pluses and the minuses will be, or at least have a better understanding.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Obviously I am very happy with the outcome. It was against the opinion polls and the bookmakers so very unexpected.

The young vote didn't mobilise, they didn't vote in sufficient numbers thinking it was a done deal and didn't need to bother. The over 45's voted in mass, and the stats show the older the voter the more inclined to vote Leave.

London voted Remain by a long way but were out voted by the rest of the country and Wales.

Lots of crying about the vote from the Remainers, even a petition started with 2.5 Mill signatures calling for a second referendum because the margin of victory wasn't large enough.

Imho a great day for the UK, the stock market dropped but recovered to finish at a one week high. I expect more recovery next week. The pound plummeted, but not necessarily a disaster - exports are cheaper to buy, holidays to the UK are cheaper, and of course I get paid in USD and my savings accounts are in the UK.

All in all, it will take time but probably not as long as many have suggested. I see this as one step back for two steps forward.

Now watch the EU crumble as more and more countries demand their own referendum.

5. marshe

Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    Always love to read your perspective Mate!
    And especially on things UK centric.

Also Love your appetite for a pregnant pause, to allow you to gather your sober second thoughts, during the eye of the storm, before engaging your outer voice.* (most of us jump prematurely during the hysteria)
    And you generally nail it!

*it has been over 24 hrs since the fury erupted.

I beleieve tme will prove you right on most of your points.

This is the dawn of the end of the EU, as I see it.

After travelling around Scotland for 10 days earlier this month, ( which incidentally was a stunning tour, from Glasglow to Aberdeen to St Andrews to the crown jewel called Edinburgh) and having umpteen random conversations with various strangers and acquaintances, combined with having been in 18 EU countries in over the last 16 years, along with meeting many Europeans at TTR , I strongly believe the EU experiment has been a giant failure!!!
    (Prosperity and peace has not been a by-product as promised.)

I feel 2 steps backwards currently for the UK, will lead to a prolonged malaise, but however will eventually
    Harken to an indestructible nation in the forseeable future.
    And during this period, I agree, the remaining EU States will wither.

I think ol Winston is looking down, wishing he was alive today, to lead Her Britannia.
    Which is to say, a vastly astute, vigorous, untenable leader is neeeded at this point in time, in Britain's history to assure a clear vision to sturdy independance and prosperity.

I am glad, at the result of the referendum and await the unfolding EU future with ardor

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  6. newtwo

newtwo Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    As you know now we have left the EU and taken our country back. There will be dark times ahead ! But we will come out stronger for it. The NHS was being killed by people coming in and taking the piss out of it. In october the Eu is letting in 5 new countrys

7. Bradnlisa

Bradnlisa Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Watched here with great interest Steve, Im sure with the passing of a little time you will be spot on, more to ultimately gain by leaving. great result

8. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    With the age divide in the UK on the Brexit vote and the age divide here in the US with the rise of Bernie Sanders, I wonder if perhaps we may be heading toward something similar to the 60's Vietnam divide that split the US and spilled over somewhat into other countries. Adding to that divide we have a Donald Trump appealing to an older demographic. Just wondering if we may be headed toward a new divided western world.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Re Young Voters:

If the US is anything like the UK they'll be noisy and very active on social media but when it comes down to it they have better things to do on election day. Then they will blame the older generation for ruining their future, and want a re-run.

75% of UK 18-24 yr olds voted Remain, but only 36% actually bothered to vote. You could read that as 73% didn't vote Remain. Turnout overall was 72%.

This was after the Govt extended the registration deadline by 2 days specifically to lure in younger voters. The registration website crashed due to overload a few hours before the registration deadline, so emergency legislation was set in place the next day to extend the deadline by two days and a huge Facebook campaign aimed at encouraging younger voters to register was launched. (Just one of the 'dirty tricks' designed to help Remain win)

If the young had voted in numbers similar to the national average the result would have been very different. Maybe the US will play out the same.

10. marshe

Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    who had the better week?
    Roy Hodgson or David Cameron?

And which one will have the kinder legacy?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice