The Beach

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by LNDRN, Jan 21, 2008.

1. LNDRN

LNDRN Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :roll: Does anyone know if they are going to replace the sand on the beach this year?

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  3. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From today's local radio station website: http://www.enfoqueradio.com.mx/?c=134&a=8707

(There is a 2% lodging tax that visitors pay who stay in hotels. That tax is designed for promotion.)

Highlights below are my translation.

Lodging tax ready for Beach Recovery
    Autor: Fausto Adrián
    Fecha: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:46:00
    Cancún.- The local government will contirbute about $28 million pesos to the beach recovery project using part of the Lodging tax income.

There is a Trust set up to gather the funds necessary from the local, State and Federal governments as well as from the local hoteliers. There is still no definite date for the beach recover to begin until the Federal government (through the beach concession tax that hotels pay) is set aside along with local property tax assessments.

The goal for the hotel sector is $40 million pesos but before the money is needed they have to have the environmental impact study authorized by the "EPA."

Beach Recovery includes from Puerto Morelos to Puerto Juárez.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  6. LNDRN

LNDRN Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :lol: Thanks for findig the info. From the pictures I've seen there isn't much beach left around the Royal resorts. I was hoping for more sand when we arrive in March.

7. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't think anyone who is traveling to Cancun at this time of year should worry, and here's why:

From what I have observed over the years, the beaches suffer the most erosion during the months of October - December. However, it seems that by March the Hotel Zone beaches have made a dramatic recovery on their own.

CANCUN TOP 100
    212eric

8. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I tend to agree iwth the last poster. In front of the hotel where I have one of my offices, the beach has been growing all month long ans is now bigger than it has been in 6 months. OK--now that is not at all of the hotels but I can only talk about this one case.

9. NancyinMichigan

NancyinMichigan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim--so nice to check in here after so many months and find a post from you about the beach. We are ready to be walking that beach next month!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice