The ant & the grasshopper

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Jamie, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0

Ok Jamie, I understand how contentious the health care issue is down there and while I respectfully disagree with several keypoints of the current debate in your country I won't say anything more unless there are comparisons made to our system. I think that is fair since many of the examples used in the debate, both good and bad, refer to either U.K. or Canadian models.

We Canadians are probably more plugged in and inundated with American news than any other country simply as a result of our close proximity and cultural commonalities.

In terms of international aid, I understand that the USA has a large and significant portion of it's budget devoted to helping others. The world does appreciate that. I would point out however that Canada, I am certain the U.K. and many other countries donate a comparable amount on a per capita basis or weighted in accordance to the size of their economies to helping out those less fortunate.

Before the horrible earthquake last week, Canada was coming to the 4th year of a 5 year aid plan for Haiti, in which Canada had already bookmarked over 1/2 billion dollars. CTV News | PM, Obama to work together on long-term help for Haiti The story (linked), also details the co-operation between Ottawa and Washington on this tragedy. Also today we have roughly 1,000 troops on the ground as well as Naval support and have added an extra 130 million in aid.

I don't know about the details of other countries contributions to the operation of the U.N. but I do know that Canada has always been up to date and more than happy to pay it's fair share. Among other significant achievements we are proud of in the U.N. is taking a leadership role in developing the framework that led to the establishment of peace keeping operations we are common with today. Military history of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia a brief history of which can be seen in wikipedia at this link. Although our involvment has been less in the last 10-15 years because of involvments in NATO operations such as the Balkans or Afghanistan. No other country has had more soldiers involved in peace keeping missions and only India has had more casualties.

As a country we are extraordinarily proud of our involvement in humanitarian and charitable causes. Inferring that the USA is disproportionately more generous to the global community is in my opinion wrong and serves to attempt to diminish the contributions that, at least my country, has made.

2. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Sorry... I should never travel all day then come home tried and try and talk politics late at night. :aktion061:

Please forgive the over the top rant and let the discussions continue. :)

Jamie

3. B & B

B & B Guru Registered Member

The Hub of the Niagara Pennisula, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Zackman

If I may say respectfully, I get tired of your same old Canadian Bashing Rhetoric. Numerous times you have used the MRI example and numerous times you have used Belinda Stronach as an example. Numerous times I have responded to your hyperbole and yet you continue to use the same examples.

As Canadian Dos Equis Fan has stated, and as I have stated, MRI's are not an issue when really required. My boss had a disc in his neck that was ruptured, it took him two weeks to get the MRI for conclusive evidence. It then took an additional 4 weeks for the specialized surgery (through the front of the neck, remove the old disc, install a new titanium disc). Then he was off work for 6 weeks. Never once did he have to worry about money for the procedure or money to pay his bills while he was off work.

Multiple times you have used Belinda Stronach as an example. Belinda Stronichs father is a multi millionaire, he almost bought Chrysler last year (He owns Magna), Belinda Stronach could have flown on her father's private jet to Japan and stayed in the most expensive hotel while waiting for surgery if she chose to. Using Belinda Stronach as an example of the Canadian System being in the tank is downright ignorant and complete bull$h!t.

Normally you get involved in these debates with a little bit of common sense and well thought out and researched answers. Now you are just playing the Republican Game of "See how bad Canada's System is" and fearmongering with everyone else.

I understand you don't like the Democrat's and Obama, I don't get it, but I see all the jokes flying around (most tinged with a hint of racism), but that's fine. You and everyone else are sick and tired of people free loading of an overburdened system and you don't want to add to the debt through more socialization, that's a fair statement, I can get that as well.

But to denigrate my country the way you do is over the top, especially when the only examples you use are bullcrap. Do not compare my system that works with your proposed system that may or may not work.

Thank-you

:flagcanada:-ROCKS!!!

[ame=""]YouTube - I Am Canadian

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  4. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Bob, I certainly would not even remotely take a shot at Canada or Canadians for that matter. My point about the Canadian health system is that it would have trouble working in the States. The reason is that we have so many people who have become wards of the state for their pure laziness. We have lost accountability in this country and it has many of us frustrated and worried that we have become a nation of free loaders that may not survive into the next century.

I had something that just happened to one of my clients last week that best exemplifies how stupid our whole US system has become. One of my clients caught one of her employees stealing from her. Provable amount is in excess of $20,000 and probable amount is close to $50,000. She fired the employee. However, she had to offer him government subsidized health insurance for nine months. That isn't all. She had to hire an attorney to protect her and her business because if she doesn't do everything right the thief can sue her. No matter how you slice it, that is a system that is totally screwed up.

There are doctors that I know who left Canada for the US for the money. However they have since left the US and moved back to Canada. Why? The constant threat of law suits. Welcome to the US and our wonderful legal system.

5. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Call Bush, a white male over 50, an idiot and you're cool.

Call Obama, a black male under 50, an idiot and you're a racist.

I just love the double standard.

Jamie

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Here's something that makes you think of the old adage 'Turkeys voting for Christmas'.:

BBC News - Why do people often vote against their own interests?

7. Fletch

Fletch Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Funny how people react when the shoe is on the other foot huh?

Great original post by the way! Love it! :xyxthumbs:

8. Zackman

Zackman I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    B&B:

You need to go read my postings again. No where do I denigrate or put down Canada or Canadians. I've not "bashed" anyone. I'm simply responding to the call for Americans to replicate, imitate, or otherwise copy the nationalized health-care system of other countries. Americans have spoken by voting in the most recent elections for the opposition to nationalized health-care. WE DON'T WANT IT!!!

If Canadians like what they have - fine, KEEP IT. I like my health-care plan the way it is and I don't want what you have. Americans don't want the Canadian system no mater how great you think it is. Furthermore, if you don't like my use Belinda Stronach as an example then direct your comments to the Toronto Star because it comes from a Canadian newspaper. If you don't like my use of the Free Market Cure video then go complain to your fellow Canadian, Lindsay McCreith who was featured in the video and tell him there's no problem with MRI's. Go tell Canadian Dr. Rick Baker MRI's are not an issue when really required. Direct your comments appropriately towards your own countrymen because these are not my claims. But before you suggest I'm a racist or denigrating others country you better get your facts straight first! Your posts really lack any comprehension of the issues, intellectual honesty, respect for the facts and opinions other than your own.

9. Zackman

Zackman I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "If people vote against their own interests, it is not because they do not understand what is in their interest or have not yet had it properly explained to them. They do it because they resent having their interests decided for them by politicians who think they know best."

Question: Why do liberals think they know what is best for everyone?

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I disagree, there are millions of people out there who have little idea what they're voting for on all sides of the political spectrum.

[ame=]YouTube - Obama Is Going To Pay For My Gas And Mortgage!!!

Why should Republicans be any different? Are they all that much more smarter than Democrats? I dont think so.

For the same reasons as Republicans do I guess.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice