The Academy Awards of Cancuncare

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 23, 2009.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rivergirl and V,

You poke fun at each other's writing. Please leave me out of that argument over confusing sentence structure.

Pardon me while I go pare a pair of pears.

Isn't language a wonderful thing, especially our native English; so simple, yet so complex.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    AGAIN, AN ASIDE

Pardon me, again, for a little aside. I'll be back, in a moment!

[T.J., as you may know, likes to stir things up a little, to keep it lively on Cancuncare. I thought RG was calling attention, with a humorous intent, to the complex sentences I was using in my adopted role as bearer of official messages and moderator of the Awards, in what was intended to be a humorous thread, ab initio. I would like this thread to represent a chance for people to let their hair down, move away from the deadly serious or purely informational threads that even I like to read and write, and have some pure (well, occasionally just a little impure) fun!]

Now, back to the Awards!

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    ARE YOU "WELL FED"?

And, by the way, I did get one other nomination by email, a few days ago, which I had not gotten around to putting up, before.

The category proposed was, "Best Fed"

The nominee was ChicagoTom

I wasn't quite sure how we were supposed to know just how "well fed" another poster might be, so I'd hesitated to put it up; but, here it is, folks.

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    ARE YOU FEELING HUNGRY?

A few posts back, Janie, was nominated to the category, the "Poster who makes me the hungriest." I had asked the nominator, as you can see, above,"Can you forward some of the pictures you're referring to? Then, we can judge for ourselves, just how hungry we get, when we see her pictures."

Well, we now have a response and I, a surprise, as you can see. (I had assumed Janie must be a good cook, and the pictures those of some of the dishes she'd prepared. Well, it turns out it was a "dish" of a different sort that the poster was referring to, as you can see from the pictures we received.)

You are invited now, "to judge for yourselves," as I suggested earlier, though the cuisine is unexpected. Gentlemen, will you please open the curtains?

[ERROR: IMAGE CANNOT BE READ]

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    DON'T TURN OFF YOUR SET

For a number of hours, now, we've been inundated with calls offering free technical assistance, including one from Life_in_Cancun, to help us solve the problem we've had getting the image up; but, you can stop calling, please. Know that we're taking the problem seriously, and our technicians are working on it. We expect to have the problem solved, in just a few more hours. Please bear with us.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ALL I CAN SAY IS . . .

All I can say is: [​IMG]

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    NO POLITICS

Mr T.J., although your contributions to the awards process, thus far, are appreciated, and acknowledged, I feel I must remind you that no political statements, whether veiled or not, are permitted.

Behave yourself, if you don't mind: you do want to see the photos submitted on behalf of Janie, don't you?

:bounce3:

There, there, that's better.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    HOW WILL T.J. TAKE IT?

Hello, again, friends.

First of all to T.J., who's been waiting patiently, then to the rest of you, let me offer an apology, and a confession; for, you see, we’ve had to work a ruse on you, trying to buy some time to decide how to respond to the photos we'd received. We haven't, in fact, had any technical issues here other than the ones we ordinarily encounter.

As it turns out, and while you've patiently awaited the resumption of the awards process, the organizers of this event have been engaged in a brisk discussion among themselves about whether or not to waive the requirement for a bathing suit in photos submitted for consideration in the “Poster who makes me the hungriest” category.

As part of this process, the photos submitted in support of the nomination of Janie have been carefully examined and considered, with some of those involved in the review finding themselves in agreement with the nominator, as they, too, had at times experienced pangs of hunger while engaged in a study of the photos.

I, for one, argued that there was potential unfairness in any decision to waive the bathing suit requirement, as some contestants are naturally more shy than others, and those who are not might seize the opportunity to take advantage.

In the end, it was decided to leave in place the provision requiring a bathing suit, type unspecified, in any photos submitted to this body. That being the case, the photos submitted in support of Janie’s nomination will not be seen, outside of our offices. To the nominator we add that they may submit additional photos, if desired.

To those who have experienced a degree of disappointment in the decision taken, we offer our apologies, and invite you to express your point of view, here, if you should so choose.

Now, let the show go on!

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    OPEN CATEGORIES, AND NOMINATIONS

[This is an intentionally humorous thread. Those who don't find it funny, can avoid reading it: those who don't find it funny, at all, can avoid posting to it or they may risk finding it even less funny than before. Those who feel they have a sufficient sense of humor for the task are welcome to play along by contributing suggested categories and nominations, or nominations to an existing category; or, by offering their comments on the nominations received.]

Our nominators to the AAOC- an acronym suggested by Gonzo, which has caught on here in the Academy Awards of Cancuncare headquarters, and will be used, from now on, when referring to this event- have applied a lot of imagination to come up with some truly amazing categories, perhaps more than appropriate to the nominations they had in mind!

The categories suggested, thus far, are listed, below, together with the nominations received, to date.

Best Fed- Chicago Tom

Best Overall- Steve

Best Trip Reports- Janie

Cutest Poster- Cancun Fun

Longest Active Poster- T.J.

Longest Posts- V (self-nominated, nomination subsequently disqualified, owing to his close connection to this event); category remains open to nominations.

Most Aggressive Self-Promoter Taking Commercial Advantage of Steve's Good Will and Forum Policies- (see action of Rules Committee, p.3)

Most Amusing Use of the English Language by an English Speaker- Leanne

Most Consistently Positive Poster- Cancuncanuck

Most Frequent Poster of Playa del Carmen Information in a Cancun Forum- Coby

Most Humorous Posts- category open, no nominations received, thus far

Most Humorous Posts Without Really Trying- Rivergirl, see p.2, of this thread, for details. (This nominee has requested that her name not be highlighted.)

Most Posts- Rivergirl, Cancuncanuck, and T.J. (as to this last one, it’s clear someone didn’t do their math)

Most One-line Posts- category open, no nominations received, thus far

Most Refreshing Newcomer- V (ruled ineligible, owing to his close connection to this event); category remains open to further nominations

Most Reliable, Technical Advice Giver- Mixz1

Most Thoroughly Assimilated, Whether Formally or Informally- Isla Zina

Poster Who Can Make You the Hungriest- Janie

Let the nominations continue! As previously stated, under the Rules Governing the Conduct of the Academy Awards of Cancuncare, you are free to suggest additional categories, and well as additional nominees to those categories which have been suggested, and accepted, by the Rules Committee.

10. justjimmy

justjimmy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Best Trip Reports

I would like to formally nominate Janie for the category of "Best Trip Reports".:bow:

Jimmy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice