The Academy Awards of Cancuncare

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 23, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Let me suggest some categories, and some possible nominees.

"Most Posts" -Steve can probably tell us who deserves that honor.

"Longest Posts" -I'll start, by nominating myself.

"Most Humorous Posts" -OK, I'd like to nominate myself, but I've already made one nomination.

"Most Humorous Posts Without Really Trying" -I can't nominate her, but I'd like to suggest someone nominate Rivergirl, especially for her last post, where she spoke of being called a, "fucking bitch," today, in the thread, "Immigration Cancun," on this forum.

"Most one-line posts" -could this be TraceyUK? I know, I can't nominate again.

Etc....

Some of you, with more imagination than I have, will be able to help complete the list of appropriate categories for nominations in the Academy Awards of Cancuncare!

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I must respectfully un-nominate myself for that...because nothing is an accident...and I deliberately hit you all with my dry humor far more often than most of you seem to notice...in other words if you are ever wondering if something I say was meant to be funny or ironic then you can bet IT WAS. I nearly always know when I'm going to get a laugh.

Can we nominate people for more than one category?

If so I want to nominate V for "most refreshing newcomer due to his impeccable grammar and positive attitude...even if he does ramble a lot."

No I'm not good at making up categories, live with it.

And I want to nominate Mixz1 for "most reliable technical advice giver" though I think Life in Cancun deserves a definite honorable mention in that category.

Steve should get the "thanks for keeping this board alive even though we know it's a ton of work to monitor and to keep spam-free" nomination.

And I want to nominate CancunCanuck for "most consistently positive poster...even when there's absolutely nothing to be positive about."

Told you I was bad at making up categories.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    On the contrary, Rivergirl, you just expanded the categories by at least at least four! as follows, together with nominations!

"Most refreshing newcomer" -V. Ah, shucks, Rivergirl. :bigwave:

"Most reliable technical advice giver" -Mixz1; Honorable Mention- Life_in_Cancun!

"Best overall" -Steve

"Most consistently positive poster" -CancunCanuck

Congratulations to the nominees (I know, I can't congratulate myself).

:bounce3: :michaelf: :daveandmo:

Ladies...gentlemen... :ladiesman: Ladies...Ladies!!

Thank you. Please bear in mind, these are only the nominations, so don't start your celebrations, just yet!

Other categories, anyone?

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You ain't got it yet!

Ladies and gentlemen, I feel it is my duty to report a slight irregularity, or perhaps I should call it an "impropriety" in the post nomination conduct of one of the nominees: this nominee is so confident of his ultimate victory that he has taken to using an avatar of the award to accompany his posts on this website. I know, I know, you are probably just as shocked to hear this, as I was to see it for the first time.

I do not know if the administrator will feel obliged to take remedial action; but, at a minimum, I personally feel it constitutes unsportsman like conduct to suggest that others don't have a chance, don't you agree?!!

I'll not be so forward as to name names, but let's just say the miscreant's username starts with M, and ends with 1- for those who'd like to investigate this, first hand!

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ah but said nominee is actually a member of the Academy, so his using that avatar is appropriate on other grounds...

But I do like the shiny sunglasses avatar better, hope it comes back.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    KEY WORDS: CORRUPT INFLUENCES, ACADEMY, VOTE RIGGING

Ah, it's just what I'd expect, to see you defending your own nominee.

Initially, I thought we were simply dealing with a little presumptuousness, a little over optimism, someone getting a little "previous" in their thinking. Not pretty, but forgivable as part of human nature. But, now we learn that the nominee is possibly a member of the Academy. (Of course, he should have the opportunity to dispel that misconception, if that's what it is.) But, that of course, raises a whole new host of issues of a far more serious nature, doesn't it, should it turn out that the nominee is, indeed, a member of the Academy, such as possible insider influence, potential future vote rigging, possible manipulation of the nomination process; why, I probably can't even begin to imagine all the things that could be going on out there. From this moment forward, until the final vote is IN, we're keeping a close watch on this character; and, indeed, on his nominator!

As for those sunglasses, before these latest events, I took them simply as a sign of a person who cared about fashion, cared about the image they project, and wanted to keep up good appearances, nothing to be ashamed of; but, now I have to wonder if the sunglasses don't serve to conceal a shifty look.

Ladies and gentlemen of the reading audience, fellow posters, fellow nominators, residents, visitors to Cancun, and friends, please don't let the behavior of a few dissuade you from participation in the nomination process; indeed, the best way to deal with this, in my opinion, is to go resolutely forward; and, in this way, to dilute any untoward influences that may exist out there.

Please, feel free to offer your suggestions for categories, and potential nominees: we mustn't let anything stop the show from going on!

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually, I was responding to CunSpin's referring to me as "she" when I switched the avatar to my Academy Card, although upon reflection, with regard to the current contest, it was a poor choice.

However, since these Awards (as well as the "other" Academy Awards) are audited by Price - Waterhouse (right, Steve?), rigging isn't a concern. Nevertheless, responding to the enormous pressure brought to bear by V's concerns, I've reverted to my Blue Lenses avatar. The only she in that picture is reflected in the lens.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    PROPRIETY IS PRESERVED!

Well, I like to see a man promptly step forward to clear the air when he discovers a cloud of suspicion, perhaps totally unmerited, threatens to engulf him.

I am most grateful to the nominee.

[On a personal note, I quite liked the new avatar, but I WAS concerned that our nominee was getting just a little ahead of himself. Confidence is, in general, a very good thing; but, we mustn't let it progress to presumptuousness, must we, as there are other potential nominees, and the contest could prove closer than one might have thought!]

Now, let the nominations continue!

9. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Most frequent poster of Playa del Carmen information in a Cancun forum, perhaps?

I'm having a hard time thinking of nominees though...

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    "NOMINATING ONESELF"

Welcome, Coby, it had been so long since I'd seen you here I'd almost PM'd you to see if everything was all right.

(OK, readers, I know what you may be thinking, but don't worry about any personal friendship issues getting in the way here, as I am scrupulously impartial!).

Now, back to the business at hand, you needn't be so coy, and you certainly MAY nominate yourself, if that's what you're hinting at! You'll recall that I set the precedent, earlier, by nominating myself in the category, "Longest Winded Posts" [no, no, that's what Rivergirl accused me of, I think]; and, your nomination in the, well, somewhat unusual category you proposed is, if I may say so, well earned; moreover, what's happening in Playa del Carmen is of interest here, too.

So, thank you for your contribution.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice