That time again....

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jun 4, 2011.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
  2. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    2 PM EST report:
    Tell me about it! I've been running around, alternately opening and closing windows to let in some air, or keep the rain out, for the last 24 hours.

5 PM Update: Call me alarmist if you want, but in animations there now appears to be some "rotation" to the storm, which was said to have a center about 270 miles from here. By 9 PM tonight a hell of a thunderstorm is supposed to be lashing the coast, especially to the south of us. Poor Chetumal.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
  4. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I predict, based on nesting this year, that we will have no hurricanes here (Cancun to Tulum).

5. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kathy: How did you come to that conclusion? What behavioral differences did the sea turtles show?

6. Du Cooke

Du Cooke Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hurricanes is one thing everyone warns me of, when I'm off to cancun, I've heard a few stories and seen the carnage (via youtube), what steps do you guys do when a hurricane starts coming inland?

7. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First thing you do is buy as much alcohol and food as you can get....jajaja We usually dont do too much as far as groceries go since you could buy groceries the next day after Wilma. Not sure why everyone goes nuts in the tuna section!

8. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is only anecdotal, but the year of the girls (2005) we had little to no nesting on our beach. Dean we had more but not as much as 2008 forward. Also seeing the east side of Cozumel (wild) says they are nesting like, well, crazed tortugas there. :) At one point there was either a study or simple anecdotal research done in the Tampa, FL area that turtles don't normally nest within 300km (?) of a direct hit. Since I've been watching the nests (the kids are actually counting them daily this year) I've noted we haven't been hit in high nesting years.

9. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Kathy! fascinating :)

10. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For any of you homeowners that want insurance, I looked around and Banamex were loads cheaper than anyone else. For my house valued at a bit over a million I paid 2500 for the year. Now it's not the best of the best insurance, but it is 1000 times better than nothing :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice