Text messaging in cancun with verizon

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by X-FACTOR, Mar 31, 2007.

1. X-FACTOR

X-FACTOR Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have searched and read the FAQ...My question is this:

Does anyone with verizon know for sure if you can send and receive txt messages from the states while in cancun?

Did it work for you while you were there?

2. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We tried our last trip (June 2005) and it didn't work. We could make calls (with the international calling activated) but couldn't send texts or receive them. Things may have changed since then though.

3. Carole

Carole I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I tried and it never worked.

4. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I believe you can text message for one peso per msg using Telcel. You'll need to get a Telcel SIM and put it in your phone (or get a Telcel phone), but you can get these on eBay pretty cheap AND THERE'S NO DAILY MINUMUM CHARGE as there is with rental phones.

I use this system for voice when I'm there and it works well.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can make and recieve text messages with most US carriers and I assume that would apply to Verizon as well. Calls and texts from the US to a US phone in Mexico are made as if the receiving phone was in the US. Most caller ID systems for US carriers do not work here on your US phone. The big problem is if you leave your phone on here, you cannot screen calls and it is costly for your international roaming. With TMobile it is $1.49 per minute plus tax. But if it rings through to voice mail, it is a $2 charge if your phone is on. And there is a charge to the US phone that is in Mexico, for texts received and I am pretty sure it is $.35 each.

I suggest renting a phone from Vic at www.cancunvalet.com $10 set up / delivery fee and $.69 a minute to and from US & Canada and within most of Mexico. New, compact phones. Delivered to your hotel. Pre-programmed for up to 10 numbers. An easy and reasonable way to stay in touch with family, work, etc.

6. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I second that.

I've dont that so many times I can't remember how mnay...never a problem. Great service.

7. lafsalot824

lafsalot824 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have Verizon and was in Cancun in August 2006

My cell phone didnt work. People could call me and leave me text and voice messages but I couldnt retrieve them

My friend has Cingular and she text messaged with no problem :)

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When you are out of the US you are roaming on another carriers system. Most US carriers use Telcel as their "roaming partner."

When you use your US phone in Mexico, it is as if you were using a local phone, except that you are paying a roaming fee to your US carrier, part of which is charged to them by the Mexico roaming partner.

I suspect that perhaps you did use the proper dialing sequense for calling the US from Mexico. Specifically, that is 001-xxx-xxx-xxxx. You do not dial 1-area code and number or 011, simply 001, area code and number. US carrierss have a toll free number to dial to retrieve voice mails.

But text messages should come through without problems. My daugter and 5 friends were just here and I am sure they were all not on the same US carrier. They seemed to have no problem sending and receiving text messages. I did warn them to turn the phones off when not in use, less their parents choke them when the bill comes in.

It would pay to contact your Customer Service dept BEFORE going outside the US to find out the costs and procedures for all cell related uses.

9. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Even moreso, given all of the horror stories I've heard about how an unsuspecting customer might be (mistakenly - or legally, such as in your post) charged exhorbitant sums - I'm a firm believer in getting prepay only - and roaming would be my last option, coming in even after the dreaded calling cards (which introduce some serious problems of their own).

10. lanceroz

lanceroz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Texting and recieving emails does NOT work down there through Verizon. I tried every way possible. Regular service was fine but costs $0.69 cents a minute!

Just make sure you update your phone with *228 and then press 2 before leaving!

And then you have to dial 0111-area code-then the seven digit number...

Like 0111-555-654-1232

:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice