Temptation Beach Recovery Permission Granted

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Steve, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Thanks to CancunCanuck for the original post:

2. TerryB

TerryB I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hola, Steve exactly what does this mean? They are going to haul a lot of sand and put it where? Dont mean to sound dumb but I know nothing about beach recovery. Terry

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I can only go by the report above, but basically as the report says they are looking to dredge a sandbank which is 300 metres off shore and then use that sand to improve the beach, presumably making it wider / deeper or both.

Kind of strange really since the TTR beach has not been affected by erosion in any way like the beaches on the other side of the 7 have, so their isnt really much to restore only improve. Still, I expect no one will complain about a better beach because it has always been one of TTR's draw backs.

Maybe it will help towards that extra star rating they obviously Desire.

4. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good point Steve.

I am also confused about a few other things

- How can TTR make this cost effective to do if done the right way
    - How did they get a permit seeing as how this will undoubtedly affect other beaches on the North side of Cancun

5. soonn

soonn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve,

Can you find out when Temptation plan to improve the beach?

Thanks,

6. glutenguy

glutenguy Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I found a great deal for Temptations in December. I am wondering if that is because they will be dredging the beach then. Does anyone have any info? I don't want to be in a construction zone.
    Thanks,
    Glutenguy

7. TexasTrouble

TexasTrouble Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do not know when they are going to do this but I just got back and there were survey teams out on the beach several days. Which is a good thing because the beach seems to have gotten even smaller since May, I do not know if the water level is higher this time a year or not but it was only several feet away from some of the umbrellas

8. RobnStew

RobnStew Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    Having observed beach restoration down in Miami, typically the way it works is that they tap an offshore sandbar and then use a pump system to literally pump the sand to the shoreline ... if Steve's post is an indication, that's how they'll do it. It's actually pretty cool - they station a barge out by the sandbar, there's a huge foot-diameter hose that carrys the water/sand slurry to another barge near where the beach is restored, and they spray it into place. Should be minimally invasive on the resort - no bulldozers trucking up and down the beach. Assuming they do it this way.

When we were down in South Beach a few years ago and they were doing this, the section they were working on was literally "growing" wider by 50 feet per day. Not sure how much Temptations wants to add, but they could easily in a few days, triple the width of the beach.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice