Telmex DSL speed test

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Drewbert, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Heh. That Guatemala server isn't the closest.

When you hit that server, you're going up to California on Telmex's data circuit, across to Atlanta Georgia via Teleglobe (via Dallas), then down to Guatemala via the caribbean fibre loop.

The sad thing is, the pipe from Guatemala to the USA is a LOT faster than the crap service we're getting from Telmex.

No surprise there though.

I remember when I used to live in GDL, the telco's here refuse to peer with each other, so if your were connected via Avantel in Guadalajara, and tried to access a website hosted at Telmex in Guadalajara, the data would travel up to the USA on Avantel's network, then back down on Telmex's.

Just effing nuts. But that's what happens when the technical decisions are made by marketing rather than tech staff.

2. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is actually a very good sight for testing. As I said in my post, you can chose from many different servers to test. The default choice of the Guatamalan server can be ignored. You can pick North American, South American, European, Asian and African servers. If you scroll down, you'll see that the page accumulates a history for you so you can compare results.

If you want to stay on the Telmex backbone chose Monterry. It will make you feel good :) .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice