TelCel Amigo Can Be Used in the USA

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Dec 7, 2008.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got an email from Telecel today that states you can use your Amigo pay as you go phone in the US for about 2 pesos per minute. Cards will be available for purchase in the US, but until the distribution is worked out, you can buy cards here, take them with you and you'll be able to add time to your phone by using the standard *333 routine. Take a look here: http://www.telcel.com/portal/micrositios/amigo20/

Tu mejor Amigo te acompaña en todo Estados Unidos.
    ¡AMIGO!, en esta temporada navideña viaja a Estados Unidos y obtén un 20% de descuento en todas las llamadas entrantes, salientes nacionales e internacionales.
    Adicional podrás continuar recibiendo mensajes de texto SMS y utilizar los servicios de datos GPRS. También podrás consultar tu buzón de voz, consultar y recargar el saldo de tu línea desde Estados Unidos.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This has been true for a while, I used my TelCel phone in the states back in July but I think it was a brand new thing then.

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Let's see...Service available in July. Email notification in December. Sounds about right.

Maybe the point of the email was to notify users that the service they weren't aware of now has a 20% discount that they weren't aware of either. That too sounds right.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I never understood the pricing in July. The sales guy that hubby talked to didn't get it all the way. It may be that this is cheaper than it was then.

5. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well now I know why my amigo cell worked when I was in Houston in July. I couldn't figure it out.

6. johnc

johnc Administrator Registered Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    It does work here, but there are a couple of things to watch out for

1) Very limited outlets where you can buy the top-up cards or get credit applied. Best to stock up with the cards in Mexico
    2) The validity of the credit varies by denomination of the last top up. if you had 100 pesos valid to Jan 31st, and you apply a 50 pesos credit, the validity gets cut to 1 month. I bought cards in 100 peso denominations which is the lowest value valid for 2 months

3) Despite what Teclcel tells you, the number to call to apply a credit is NOT *333 as in Mexico. That does not work here. You dial either of the following

*133# SEND and select from same options as *333SEND in Mexico

or enter it directly

*134*ref number#SEND
    where the reference number is the voucher or scratch-off number

in the #134 case, you get an auto-reply SMS confirming application of the credit.

7. americamovil

americamovil Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mix, if you read the fine print (Tarifas en dólares americanos más impuestos) I believe that is $2USD not 2 pesos.

8. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oops, my bad. I guess that's why I have a domestic SIMM card for the US.

9. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For anyone traveling to the U.S. and planning to use their Telcel Amigo phone....

I've been in Minnesota for a couple of weeks and it roams on AT&T here. I can't make calls. I get a recorded message that says the phone is not authorized to make calls (I have plenty of credit on it). I can receive calls and text messages just fine. Sending text messages is sketchy. They have to be really short or I get a send error. And even then sometimes I have to try to send several times.

I was also in Arizona for Christmas. I didn't try making calls there (I should have just to see if it worked there). Everything else was the same as in Minnesota, except that I noticed that it switched back and forth from roaming on AT&T to a direct Telcel signal.

10. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    phone

and Gringa's messages took about 14-15 hours to arrive in some cases. So not the quickest method, if you need to reach someone fast.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice