Telcel 3G

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by matkirk, Feb 17, 2009.

1. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi there,

Has anyone had any experience with Telcel 3G?? I moved house and cablemas can't figure out where my house is. I just wanted to change my address, cancel the T.V part and keep the cable internet - 1,2,3 done right - I ended up with a blank stare and f'all getting done. So I was thinking about giving telcel 3g a whirl - as it's mobile and seems like you get around 3.6mbps or something???

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have one and it works fine. The only problem is that it sometimes takes a few minutes for it to "find itself" and connect but after that it works fine. I use it when I am out at the ranch and service is as good as I get at home with Prodigy or better.

3. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply - how much do you pay for it? is it a contract for a year or something? and...do you think it will be ok for uploading websites etc - thanks in advance!!!

4. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think I pay about $50 usd a month. It is a yearly contract with an automatic credit card payment. I don't know about the uploading part.

5. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cable

matkirk,

I can't help you with 3g, but I wanted to say that I had the same problem with Cablemas when I moved into this house.

They had to physically send someone out to my house to verify the address. Like I'd lie about that and pay for someone elses cable?? Idiots! It was a LONG process. I think i got the run-around for about a month. They wanted to see the bill from CFE...but nobody had lived here before so there wasn't a bill from CFE yet. I finally gave one of the guys at Cablemas my contract number for CFE (since that is all I had from CFE). The guy went to the CFE office to get the address just as they had it listed on the bill. After that, they had a guy come out to find the house. Then, after all of that, I was hooked up in no time. I think it was connected within 24 hours of the guy going to CFE to check the address. Unfortunately, the guy that helped me is no longer at Cablemas, but the manager at the Chichen Itza office has been very helpful in the past. Now I've forgotten his name though.....I think it's Roberto. Can anyone remember his name??

What a hassle. I'm really not sure why EVERYTHING has to be such a major ordeal here.

Good luck!

6. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah the stupidity factor is something you have to get used to here.

I (and lots of other people I'm sure) had the same issue with Cablemas, because on their precious map, it listed the address and street numbers wrong, but rather than admit that their map was horribly inaccurate, they insisted that WE, the water company, the city tax office, CFE, and everyone else were absolutely insane, and that the house was in fact one street over and 5 houses down!

:shock:

You just have to play their money/time wasting game, and wait for them to send some guy out to see that there is in fact a house there, before you have the privilege of contracting their service. :roll:

7. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the replies guys - You hit the nail on the head though - we had about 20 mins of pouring over their 'map' looking at the worng areas!!! I have to go to Chichen to fix it - but they are open 9-6 the exact same time I work :evil: So I think I might give this 3g a whirl - its a shame though cause I was happy with cablemas!

8. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The main office used to be open till 7, so unless they changed the hours....

Can you not talk to your neighbors about setting up some sort of internet sharing to keep the costs down?

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We live near the Cablemas office. The Cablemas people park all over our neighborhood because Cablemas doesn't have an employee parking lot.

Yet on our bill from them they don't get the street right...we don't worry about it b/c the technicians always find the house...and the bills do to...but their "map" leaves much to be desired, even within walking distance of their office.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice