Technical Tourism Questions

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by quantum1, Apr 22, 2015.

1. quantum1

quantum1 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm planning on exporting some suv's for a tourism business, just had a couple of questions

Would I need a permiso de importacio temporal if americans will be driving the vehicles, or would I need to nationalize them?

Would my workers need FM3's?

Tourism vehicle insurance, Is this an insurance that I woud need, or can I use waivers? If so any idea on where I would find this, costs?

Even after all legalities are handled, I know there is that one person that wants to be paid off to do business in the region, any ideas how to manage this?

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Some thoughts, only, and no suggestions....

1. Transportation was a service reserved to Mexicans by the NAFTA treaty. (You can look in the internet for the treaty, with amendments, to see if this is still the case. If it is still a reserved service you may find you'll need to establish a Mexican corporation to operate such a business, under your control.)

2. You can look into the cost of buying this type of vehicle in Mexico. A number of foreign manufacturers have operations in Mexico and buying locally would avoid any questions regarding importation, including import duties which might become involved down the road.

3. Any foreigners working here who do not have permanent residence status would need permission to work: the general rule is that no more than 10% of a company's work force can be foreign, without claiming a special need for their unique skills, and having this claim recognized by the INM.

4. You could look into the potential cost savings of hiring locally, rather than importing drivers.

5. In case of liability a court judgment could be taken in the Mexican courts which would be enforceable in U.S. courts. Operating without liability insurance carries risk no matter where a business is being operated.

6. Mexico's laws relating to liability for injuries and damage arising out of an accident are different from the U.S.: here, vehicles and other property can be seized and drivers and owners of companies arrested and held until all claims are satisfied. It may not be possible to simply walk away from claims of liability in situations where this could be possible in the U.S.

I think you can see in everything I've commented on that I think doing business here is possible, and others have managed it very successfully.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice