~:- Tech Support PLEASE! -:~

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by blondie1972, Jan 26, 2007.

1. blondie1972

blondie1972 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm hoping there might be a techie or two who can help me out...

I have two computers at home~

1. My PC... it is hooked up to Internet Cable. I also have a Linksys wireless Router hooked up to this.
    2. I have my Laptop downstairs. Had the router working fine and all was well until this morning. I cannot seem to connect to the Internet via the Laptop (but CAN via the PC).

When I look at the connection sources and click on the Linksys connection, it says that must enter a WEP code or a WAP code/key... Can anyone help with this. What is it and where do I get one!?

Many thanks!

2. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    thats your encripted code key that allows you to use the internet from your laptop and also makes it impossible for others to steal your connection for free! I would suggest calling linksys systems and they will talk you through setting it back up, easy process!

3. blondie1972

blondie1972 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks so much J! :lol:

4. Waste

Waste Moderator Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Other options:

1- Go the Linksys website and download the manual. Look under WEP/WAP setup. The Linksys manuals are pretty straight forward.

2- Google Linksys WEP Configure - there are many step by step walkthroughs.

To understand it best, WEP and WPA are encryption keys. Think of them as a password. If you setup your wireless router with a key, then you must also configure your laptop to use the key as well. Your router will not allow another wireless device to connect unless it uses your specified password.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Look on the bottom of your modem, there may well be a couple of numbers written on it - one of them will be the one you want.

At least that's the way it works here and how I connect to the internet on my laptop downstairs via my desktop upstairs. That said, no idea about Canadian modems.

6. blondie1972

blondie1972 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys! Will try this now!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice