Tech Help Needed Badly

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by gene37412, Apr 29, 2007.

1. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is there anyone local that is really good at computers? Specifically I brought 3 computers with me. I use Yahoo as my e-mail provider and web browsers. As time goes on the browser is getting less and less. I can still access a few of my saved favorites such as CancunCare but by and large the browers either displays a message saying page could not be displayed or it just sit there and looks and looks and looks and never gets anywhere. Forget about e-mail....I haven't seen that in 3 days now...I am using cable internet service and so far it has woked like a champ....get me to the net and the yahoo home page in nothing flat....just won't go anywhere after that...

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't understand what web browser you are using. I assume it's M$ Internet Explorer? Version 6 or version 7 (7 is FAR better btw)? And Yahoo is your default home/startup page? And this is happening on more than one machine? Same behavior on 3 machines?

3. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Windows machines slowing up more and more is usually caused by competing parasitic installations battling each other for control of the browser.

If your machine doesn't have much RAM, it doesn't take much to slow it down.

4. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gene,
    There area a million different problems you could be experiencing,
    some from malfeasance (as mentioned by Drew),
    some which result from unintended conflicts of installed software, and
    some which are simply the result of your software (including operating system) becoming obselete.

The easiest one to fix is the latter. Find where in your operating system you can activate "Automatic Update" and initiate it. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525#3 for instructions.

The problem with malicious (spyware and virus) software having invaded your system can be taken care of by spyware removal software and/or virus protection software. There's a list of free software for this purpose and download links available at http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=4232225&postcount=1

If you can't even get to the Web to get these tools, then you have a simple, albeit painstaking, task ahead of you. Back up your important data to floppies or CD or DVD, make sure you have your original installation disks for XP (or Win2K or whatever your operating system happens to be) along with those needed to reintall any critical applications, and format the hard drive, wiping it clean of any problematic malware and/or conflicts. After that, you reinstall everything from scratch, install and perform the autoupdate referred to above, install one of the malware protection software tools from the list above, and you'll be ready to rock.

If this last action doesn't result in you regaining your ability to access the web and your applications properly, you have a hardware problem - which you'd need to have all of the above in place to remedy anyway, so these are still your first 3 steps.

5. fastcart11

fastcart11 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    1)use firefox
    2)throw out machine or wipe drive
    3)add ram

I'm partial to 2 though. Nothing they can do once machine is physically thrown out. :)

---

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice