Taxis to get meters

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Jan 24, 2013.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    We've got two votes so far for meters, but neither of the individuals involved rely on taxis, themselves.

I have taken hundreds of taxi rides in Cancun but now I, too, have a car. The fixed rates is the better way to go.

The fixed rate to the airport from centro is 180 pesos from a sitio near my house. I pay 150 pesos when I go to the airport, stopping a cab in front of the offices of Novedades and making my offer of 150. It is rarely if ever refused. Locals have told me I shouldn't offer more than 120!

Some Friday or Saturday when I can't sleep I'm going to take up Steve's challenge and ride to the Intercontinental from the entertainment center. I plan to offer 100 pesos, but will go as high as 120. I don't think I'll have a problem with it; then, I'll come out by the same route, but get a cab in the vicinity of the hotel. I don't think I'll have any trouble getting a ride in. If I notice an unoccupied cab leaving the zone I'll make him an offer and we'll see what happens. If I can't get anywhere with it I'll just have to go to one of those cheap sitio taxis Gringation alluded to....

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sure, we can study the routes beforehand, but I for one would not be happy to argue the rout with a taxista every time I use a cab - just waaaaaaay too annoying for me, personally.

Then add the countless traffic blocks("jams") and other delays, with a meter ticking and with the drivers knowledge that "the longer it takes, = more $$$ for me." Arguing with taxistas over pretty much anything is hardly one of my favorite things to do, and certainly not how Id want to start a morning when heading towards Gran Plaza, Pto Juarez to catch the ferry to Isla etc. To each his own, I guess?

Now I stop a cab, offer 20 to 25 and then get in, depending on the answer. Its simple and I see no reason whatsoever to change this system.

Set fares are already available to and from the hotels in HZ, to and from the Airport and ton and from Playa.

Ps. Last time I went to the Airport, it took 1 hour and 45 mins due to an accident on the highway, near Bonfil. Out of those 1 hour and 45 mins, the actual driving time was 30-35 mins. Tick, tick, tick = $$$, $$$, $$$...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice