Taxis to get meters

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,254 / 14
  2. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess it will stop them picking up someone else when you are in the car?

Otherwise they'd have to have like 4 meters in each taxi for each person they pick up on the way :icon_smile:

3. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well F***.

Now they'll be taking the long way to get anywhere. I also hope this doesn't eliminate the shared taxi system, as Mat pointed out. :(

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    This is crazy when applied to those of us who live here. There were published fares, by region, and no need to haggle or dispute the route taken (as Gringation pointed out).

The taxis in Istanbul had meters, and it was a nightmare taking a taxi there, from going the long way round and from setting the meter for the wrong rate for the time of day, leading to endless battles and making the whole experience thoroughly stressful and unpleasant.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,254 / 14
    Not to play devils advocate but I see this as a step forward (providing they don't fiddle the meters).

Not sure about you guys but when I take a taxi (not very often) 99% of the time I know exactly where I'm going and the shortest way to get there, so I'll let him drive and if he deviates from the way I want to go I'll tell him. I don't really like sharing taxis with strangers either. It's no cheaper, puts me on edge, doesn't cost any less and often takes longer.

Would be especially good if this extends to the HZ and stops tourists being ripped off. I remember I once advised a tourist at Temptation to "pay no more than 100" to get to Walmart. He was well pleased when the taxi driver waited while he shopped and then took him back to the hotel.... for another 100 USD!

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    My belief is that the taxi drivers' union (sindicato) would never have advocated this change unless they saw it as a way to make more money.

7. Chris&Tammy

Chris&Tammy Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    Wow! Hope that included dinner and cocktails..........

8. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice in theory, but there's no doubt in my mind that they'll fiddle with the meters.

Sharing taxis with strangers isn't cheaper, but it's nice because it means there are more taxis available (they don't have to be 100% empty), so I don't have to stand on the side of the street for as long. :)

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Fares in the hotel zone are set, and published. They are much higher than the rates in town, but are not unfair, starting at just 80 pesos and going up from there depending on the point of origin, or destination, in the hotel zone.

It is the fault of those in the tourist industry that they don't inform tourists of the established rates, whether coming or going from the hotel zone.

Knowing that there can be issues about what taxis charge in the hotel zone, those who make their livings from tourists should be especially vigilant in posting the official rates, and informing the visitors to Cancun.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Published taxi fares

I wonder if it wouldn't be worthwhile to put the official taxi fares on the home page of Cancuncare, for all to see. Some hotels do this for the benefit of their guests: here, everyone could see them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice