T.J., the one man cultural enrichment program!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Aug 17, 2013.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    T.J., who often posts here in his own name (T.J.??, what could his mother have been thinking...) is a one man cultural enrichment program for many of us in Cancun.

He constantly organizes, promotes and carries out programs that add to the enjoyment of life for many expats here in Cancun- coffee oriented events, sports programs, meals out in novel places, a one man greeting committee for new arrivals- the list goes on and on, as T.J. tirelessly invites this and that person to discover the pleasures of life in Cancun.

He introduced me and others to Pioneros Basketball, for example. Sit in the stadium at a basketball game, or a baseball game, and life seems almost normal here, safe and secure, relaxed and happy- just as it does to many of the local residents, who think Cancun to be just about the best place to be in the world.

The things T.J. organizes help many escape from any sense of dread or ill ease they may have at being here, living in Cancun, as he introduces them to the normal side of Mexican life. Immersed with Fox News reports, and others, with the dreadful things that go on in Mexico, this is a relief from where our imaginations can take us.

T.J. unhesitatingly says, when asked how he likes Cancun, "I LOVE it here!" and he not only means it, he introduces others to good reasons to like it here too, even to those, like me, for whom "love it" is just a little too strong a word.

Those who've benefited from his tireless efforts to promote the "good life" in Cancun are grateful. Thanks T.J.!! :daveandmo:

V.

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ThanksV. What a wonderful tribute. I am not a one man gang toough but may be rightly accused of being the ringleader. We have a loosely formed group of active participants in these capers. Folks who stand in hot lines so we can get a block of tickets and sit together. People who hear about a place to eat but are scared to go to the barrio and try it out. The list goes on.

You failed to mention though, my pride and joy, Casa Hogar, a Bonfil orphanage, where I have been serving for years. In February, we formed a group called Friends of Casa Hogar Cancun. My bff, Trina Noakes whipped up a website, Casa Hogar Orphanage Cancun and a killer Facebook page, at www.facebook.com/friendsofcasahogar. One time donations or monthly pledges can be made at Donate to Casa Hogar Cancun | Friends of Casa Hogar Orphanage Cancun

In pesos, we spend about $3,000 a week on groceries and we don't buy all of the groceries they need. But prior to the genius of Trina, we were only able to fund $1,600-$1,800 a week.

We came up with a Continuing Education Fund and have our first student taking advantage in Gastronomy classes. I think we could come up with a more Food Network type of name for this major but it is what it is.

In the last 12 weeks we have had 10 individuals, couples, families, groups or churches, make donations for all $3,000 in each of those 10 weeks. With our monthly group of loyal pledges and one time donations, we have been able to pay the last 3 electric bills, meaing 6 months of electricity, to the tune of about $4,300 per bill. We did have to beg last week for special donations but people stepped up and the bill will be paid this week. $4,318. We had donations from $10-$50 USD including one from a friend from my high school. Yes, I did have friends in high school.

I would invite, encourage and beg, if necessary, those of you who have been blessed in your lives, to give back something to the community and Casa Hogar is a great project. They receive ZERO gov't funding and financial donations and pledges are sorely needed. We shop for groceries every Wed and invite donors to join us in shopping and the delivery of the groceries to Casa Hogar.

We will be looking for donations for Christmas gifts where I have been a part of this project for the last 3 years, this one being my 4th. We have been and will be, the only provider of Christmas gifts under the tree for 9 kids from 3-19 years old. We will need about $1,500 US for the gifts and wrapping materials and all the help we can get for shopping and wrapping. What do you get for 9 kids who have nothing but love? Anything and they will enjoy it and be thrilled to open their gifts on Christmas Eve where a few FOCH will be invited by Pastor & Ester Mancilla, who are known as Mama and Papa to this merry band of kids. We will join them for their Christmas Dinner and they consider us as family and we consider them as our family too. Love goes both ways.

Since February, we have been taking each child, alone with 2 adults so they can be the star of the show, to the lunch of their choice, and then to shop for whatever they want as a gift from Friends of Casa Hogar, aka FOCH. Last week our 11 year old little girl became 12. She had pizza at California Pizza Kitchen, followed by a shopping trip to Bershka. She picked out a colorful pair of jeans type pants and then matched them up with a perfectly coordinated blouse. Bershka would not permit an an adult lady in the dressing room. If you have children, imagine one of them, who has largely been wearing hand me downs he whole life, getting to go hog wild at Berhka. Then having to go alone into a dressing room and try on clothes. Culture shock but when they live in a group home wiht no govt funding, this is a blessing.

Please join us in helping this wonderful kids, all of whom came from an abusive home ro were abandoned, some of whom have no idea who their parents are.

WE NEED LOTS OF HELP. OUR DREAMS ARE BIG FOR THESE LITTLE ANGELS BUT OUR DREAMS EXCEED OUR ABILITY TO PAY FOR THEM. OUR NEEDS ARE IMPOSSIBLY LARGE BUT WE WILL PLUG AWAY AND NOT BE SATISFIED UNTIL WE CAN FULFILL EVERY NEED.

Thanks and Love to those of you who read and respond to this request.

www.facebook.com/friendsofcasahogar and
    Donate to Casa Hogar Cancun | Friends of Casa Hogar Orphanage Cancun

We Can Make Miracles For The Children of Casa Hogar.
    Contact me for a visit or for any and all information.

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    What T.J. has presented here is just another example of how he helps people find the "normal" side of life here.

The city is full of people going about their business in a normal way; in this case, doing for others who have less than we....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice