Swine Flu

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by cancungrl, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    UK has cancelled all flights in, even though this goes against what the WHO recommend. There are some very annoyed people in the Temptation forum.

Just got an email from the BBC wanting to do a phone interview later.

2. asdavis

asdavis Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We are scheduled to travel to Playa del Carmen via Cancun next Wednesday for a weeks vacation. We try to get to Cancun and Playa as often as we can and we are really sad it might not happen.

The CDC in the US has issued a travel advisory for non-essential travel to Mexico, inclusive of Cancun as of this morning. I sort of feel that was premature, but I'm waiting to see the WHO statement for today.

I'm not giving up until the last minute, but I suspect that the US airlines are going to start to cancel as well. Sigh.

3. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Surely it is better to take drastic preventative measures and nip it in the bud - cancel flights etc etc whatever. rather than continue to let it dribble around.

This sort of lackadaisical attitude is what gets it spread in the first place. I think its better to contain, treat, destroy - then continue life as normal. Have it over and done with. Obviously people are going to be annoyed with not coming on vacation - but in the grand scheme of things people missing their vacations is better than getting sick!

4. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The BBC? Wow! Tell them I'm fine and thanks!

Seriously, it is good to see some real effort at good reporting!

5. costumer

costumer Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Even after living in the U.S. for 13 years, I still prefer the BBC's style of un-biased reporting.

6. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went to Walmart yesterday (not closed), but I feel very sad that they are not more responsible. The girl at the bread counter wears her mask, but all the others at the back wear it around the neck. Same as usual!!! What about the hands???

My favorite pharmacist told me there are not anymore antiviral products in all Mexico (the laboratory ran out), and masks are sold out at Walmart and they are not expecting any in the next few days (or weeks).

So those of you who are religious can pray, the others can hope. I know nobody with the symptoms, and at Walmart nobody seemed to have them (even faking :lol: ) and 2 or 3 clients were wearing a mask.

Ok, stop joking, maybe there is no need to panic but it is serious, so maybe we could expect some professionalism!

Every crap possible is said. like http://www.globaldashboard.org/2009/04/26/swine-flu-cooked-up-in-a-lab/ or http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/mick_fealty/blog/2009/04/27/beware_of_swine_flu_conspiracy_theories.

The French tour operators have cancelled their flights to Mexico. I don't know yet about the airlines themselves, but the stock markets have dropped (again!!!) :evil:

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We just returned from Costco. Every employee we saw had a mask on. The employee at the door was handing out wipes so you could wipe your hands and wipe down your cart handle (well that's what I did).

The store was pretty empty. And we were careful to only do the elbow-bump with the friends we ran into there, no more cheek-kisses or handshakes.

8. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We were actually up there on Friday, ignorant of the flu, and the workers were masked and with wipes then too. Husbandito was certain it was a wipes sale and urged me to buy some so I did. At the cash register I asked the casher why the wipes were so prominently featured and she said it was to decrease germs.

On Sunday I headed out to panic stockup and Sams (in PdC) had masked workers (but no wipes; I brought my own), WalMart had just the usual deli and panaderia masked workers and Chedraui was weirdly most empty-shelved. For a Sunday (when many families head out to grocery shop) it was very quiet and empty.

I've got 3 kids down with aches, GI, low (38 and under) fever, sore throat and tiredness. I'm feeling the same way. Unless the fevers rise though, I'm not suspicious of el porcino.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kathy - So nice to see you posting here and finally Tweeting too! Yay!

Please keep your blog up to date on your illnesses. Hope everyone feels better soon.

Costco is pretty well managed I think, they always seem to be on top of things there. The lines in the store are short and the parking spaces are big. I'm not surprised they were masked on Friday, good for them.

10. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Air Transat and Sunquest have just canceled their Mexico flights. (Toronto Star).

Went out a bit today, Plaza las Americas seemed "normal", not one person wearing a mask. Soriana was a bit busier than normal, some masks but a lot of them were around people's necks. Got some gas and Pemex guys were (kind of) wearing masks. I asked them if it was an order or an option for them, guy replied "I don't know, they were in the office so we put them on". :)

There is no hand sanitizer (that I could find) or sanitizing wipes, no Lysol. Read a report yesterday that there were no masks available in town, I saw folks wearing the painter/construction style masks instead of surgical ones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice