Swine Flu

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by cancungrl, Apr 24, 2009.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well with all the empty planes landing in Cancun traveling here just got safer, now you can fly here and share stale recycled airplane air with only a few people.

2. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    WHO just raised alert to a phase 4 from a 3.
    CNN running "The Cancun Connection" ...........implying quite strongly that people should not come here.
    Tracey
    x

3. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "The Cancun connection".. bout the only signs of anything going on that I have seen was that the cashiers at Sam's Club were wearing thin white face masks (doubt those would filter out much of anything :roll: ).. and to be honest.. I'm not entirely sure that they haven't always worn them and I've just never noticed....

I didn't see a single customer wearing one. I even tried coughing a few times to shorten the checkout line without any luck.. :lol:

I sometimes wonder why CNN and the whole bunch don't get sued for slander and damages more often.... not just on this issue by any means...

4. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Flights arriving with 0 passengers is actually normal this time of year- its the time when charter flights change from their winter programmes to their summer and often "Ferries" arrive to take the last winter people home.
    However flights with 10 people on is NOT normal. This is worrying for tourism here .............but Cancun always bounces back.!!!
    Tracey

5. Dangers

Dangers Enthusiast Registered Member

In a Little Cafe on the Other Side of the Border
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Now I don't know for sure mind you, but...

They better be darn careful with the connection stuff.

Swine Flu originates in, well swine, hogs, pigs, that was easy enough.

The U.S. is one of the top exporters of, you guessed it, live hogs to Mexico.

There's previous known cases of swine flu in U.S. Hog Farm workers, not necessarily this swine flu variant but genetically close if considering mutation.

The Mexicans are saying they believe the outbreak may have started with a young boy and a rural based pig farm west of Veracruz, Mexico, in a small town named Perote, at least the leap from swine to human of the virus.

Just saying...

In any case, there will be plenty of time for pointing fingers down the road, now it's time for the experts out there to work towards a working solution to minimize the contagion.

It's pretty clear that this thing is now going to be a global issue and not just a Mexican or U.S one.

Personally, I don't see any point in bashing one area of the world over another, Cancun, or otherwise.

Let's stick together and futurize our attitudes. :cool:

6. cancungrl

cancungrl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WHO did raise the pandemic level but it doesnt really conclude in a certified pandemic. Actualy a level four just means that it can be transmitted human to human across the borders... which has ALREADY happened, so really tehy are just confirming what has already happened. There has still been no travel warning issued by them...

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm going to try that when I go out tomorrow to PANIC SHOP...too funny.

[joke]
    Apparently the origin of Swine Flu was this:
    http://ow.ly/498a
    HAHAHA!
    [/joke]

8. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Haha...oh god...ROFL

9. Dangers

Dangers Enthusiast Registered Member

In a Little Cafe on the Other Side of the Border
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The first death from the new strain of swine flu virus was recorded on April 13 in the southern state of Oaxaca, samples of which were sent to the U.S. and Canada for further testing several days later.

Cordova said a sample was kept from a four-year-old boy in Perote. When more flu cases appeared elsewhere in the country, that sample was sent for testing along with other confirmed cases and was found to be the new strain, he said.

According to the U.S. Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, the H2N3 virus is related to various strains of regular swine flu that has been known to infect pigs. Regular swine flu doesn't normally cause human deaths.

The new deadly strain - A/H1N1 - hasn't been discovered in pigs so far and is a mix of swine, avian and human influenza.

Residents in Perote complained to local authorities after about a third of the population came down with the flu, which they blamed on a local pig farm operated by Smithfield Foods Inc. (SFD), according to local media reports.

Smithfield said Sunday that it had found no evidence of swine influenza among the herds or employees at its Mexican operations. "Smithfield has no reason to believe that the virus is in any way connected to its operations in Mexico," the company said. Smithfield shares on Monday fell 12% to $9.04.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200904271833DOWJONESDJONLINE000645_FORTUNE5.htm

Smithfield Farms... is of course a primarily U.S. based, International Company.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tracey - There were a few ferry flights yesterday, flights that came empty on purpose to take out tourists. But there were many flights yesterday which were normal regularly scheduled flights but came with few to no passengers aboard.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice