Swine Flu

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by cancungrl, Apr 24, 2009.

1. cancungrl

cancungrl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also they are finding more and mroe cases because they are ACTIVELY searching for it. More than 100 people have died and that is very tragic but the numbers won't make sense until they know out of how many was that 100. This flu could have been around for a while and most people have jsut been unaffected by its, its hard to tell at this point. That is why precautions are being taken but nothing has been officially confirmed, so we have to be careful about things. Having said that, I look at every angle of the situation. It is very unfortunate to say the least but I have no reservations to cancel my trip if I see there is sufficient reason.

2. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm watching the news and frankly wish i wasn't, this doesn't look good at all, i wish i could understand everything they were saying, all i got is 149 dead, it's apparently Mexicos fault because they had a case on the 2nd April and didn't do anything about it and its spreading across the world? Anyone know anymore or can clarify that, sorry my Spanish isn't great. Also, BBC reports saying an Earthquake in Mexico City???

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All schools across Mexico have been ordered closed until May 6, day cares, kinders, primaries, up to university.

oh boy

Still zero cases reported in QRoo, though there are 7 possibles being investigated.

There is speculation that it started at a farm in Perote, Veracruz, Granjas Carroll (googling it they seem to have had previous problems with their environmental issues).

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apparently the flu doesn't survive well in humidity which would explain why people here never seem to get it at all.

Humidity Kills The Flu Virus: http://bit.ly/BgQTy

If this is true for this particular virus it would bode very well for Cancun. Ya'll should turn of that wasteful air conditioning though. [Personally I've noticed that my friends here who sleep with a/c on get sick more often than those of us who leave the windows open and sleep without it.]

6. cancungrl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with you SamCancun, I've been glued to CNN and I wish I wasn't. CDC and WHO have not issued any kind of travel warning for travellers. I know the health minister for EU did this morning but CDC said that it was "unwarranted". Its definitly a scary situation but things have to put into perspective before people jump of the bandwagon, the economic repurcussions of a panic overload could take the situation even further out of control. You have to look at it from every point of view, all the measures that have been put in place are precautionary ones, and its health official's jobs to do that. Still I am glad they are taking it seriously but I think the public might be starting to get a little crazy... oh poor mexico, having a very rough start to the year...

7. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think it would be over reacting a little to cancel a trip to Cancun at the moment. I have had a cancellation here at work today who said their company had cancelled their group trip.
    If it's not the narcos people are cancelling for... now it's this!
    :cry:

8. cancungrl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    lol I know.... Mexico is just not getting a break. I have been dreaming about coming to Cancun for so long and I have an interview that I was really excited about but the school closings have compromised it... I am not saying there is nothign to worry about, of course 100+ deaths are somthing to worry about but people need perspective. Like I mentioned earlier, 36000 die every year in teh US from the regular influenza. You can tell which experts are trying to be realistic in teh info the given out (Sanjay Gupta) but the media just insists on blowing things out of proportion. ie. the tour operator who helped President Obama died two days later after their meeting, and EVERYONE just assumed it was from the swine flu, which it was NOT (it was pneumonia)....sighh

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It may be an over reaction to cancel a trip to Cancun right now. But that's exactly what people are doing. Flights from Europe and the US are landing in Cancun almost empty today. And they are leaving full.

10. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Yep
    husband in the industry and its not looking good for Cancun right now.Many people desperate to cancel trips, airlines are allowing them a change of date with no charge so hopefully when this is over they will return.

Poor Mexico its just not its year! :(
    Tracey

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice