Swine Flu

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by cancungrl, Apr 24, 2009.

1. cancungrl

cancungrl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone have any info about the Swine Flu with regards to Cancun. I don't believe there were any cases in Cancun but its been geographically disperse in Mexico. Im going there next week and just want to exercise caution...

2. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. cancungrl

cancungrl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Coby! I hope I get it :S Yah i've been reading a lot of articles and there haven't been any travelling warnings not to go but I just want to do the research. Mexico's rep is just getting a beating lately...

4. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's no lie. Everyday in the press it's "Mexico XYZ" where XYZ is some new, terrible thing.

Have a nice trip and take some pictures for me!

5. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From the Mexican news most cases have been in Mexico city and they are taking it very seriously even canceling school for the millions of Mexico City kids... its also worth mentioning that several swine flu cases have been confirmed in the US, and its believed to have originated there, at least according to the reports I've been reading.. but it wouldn't surprise me if the US media takes the story as another opportunity to bash Mexico.

6. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where did it start anyway? It is in San Antonio and California. I wonder if people are cancelling their trips to those places and if the people who live there are running for the hills. There have been cases in Mexico City and more in San Luis Potosi as well as in the U.S.

Quintana Roo has not had a cases of any kind of flu in at least 4 years. They are working to keep it that way of course. I wonder if they will let anyone INTO Cancun!!!

Ah, well...I am off today for Chicago for some R&R, museums, Greek food, deep-dish pizza, parks, a Monet Exhibition and drinks with friends on the 95th floor of the Hancock building one day with jazz afterwards. Then to The Dells for a conference. Life is good--even better when you live it!!

7. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim will you be posting pics of the Monet exhibit? :wink:
    Is that in Chicago?

You seem to have living life down pat!

8. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Supposedly there is an exhibit at the Art Institute which is only a few blocks from the Fairmont where I am staying. Doubt if they let you take pictures but if they do, I will. I was able to take them at the Quai D'Orsay but not an Impressionist exhibit in the Bellaggio in Vegas so it depends on policies.

9. stevesteve

stevesteve Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Read http://www.noticaribe.com.mx/cancun/2009/04/alerta_preventiva_en_qr_por_casos_de_influenza.html%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4HPIA_enCA311CA311%26num%3D100]this post (spanish translated)[/url] about what the officials in QR (Cancun is in QR) are doing. It says there are 4300 vaccines in the State which is worrisome.

Basically no cases are reported yet there, but one never knows. I have written a blog post about Cancun Swine Flu. Please check it out, and read the pages referenced from there.

In the first reference above, they are talking about checking passengers in the aiport. Good thing, but you may become a guest of the state there, if you display flu-like symptoms :roll:

steve

10. BVG_Steve

BVG_Steve Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They still do not know where it started, the cases in Texas and California and suspected in NY those some of those people came from Mexico. So they are not sure if it started in Mexico or USA. also there are now 2 confirmed cases in Kansas. I did not hear if those people in Kansas were in Mexico recently.

Also a Queens NY high school has 100 kids with symptoms, the school is closed and tests are being done. Some of the kids were recently in Mexico.

No use speculating about anything, the next 3-7 days will tell a lot.

As for me, I am staying put in Florida. I was going to come to my Cancun home May 3rd and maybe still will, but if I had to say yes or no today answer would be no.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice