Swine flu sucks

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Kat & Tmac, Apr 26, 2009.

1. sweetnurse

sweetnurse Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The center for disease control and the world health org website say no cases have been reported in the costal or resort areas of mexico, all cases are from mexico city. Of the 20 cases confirmed in the us, all had mild flu symptoms. They say they are NOT advising that people restrict travel to mexico, they suggest good hand washing while your away.
    The media loves a good story and doesn't always use the best evidence based sources of info.
    I'm checking the two goverment sites daily and they are the only sources of info that I'm giving any credit to, I'm avoiding the media they love the hype.
    Melissa and I also work in the medical field and we have no concerns about going.

2. CurtNBarb

CurtNBarb Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sweetnurse we are in the same mindset as you when it comes to the media. As of right now we are not changing any travel plans. We are however giving second thoughts to cocobongo and the Bulldog. :cry: We will continue to monitor any reported cases in the yucatan.

3. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The CDC is probably your best source of info ... and of course Steve as the "man on the ground".

I'd suggest that everyone should be careful with what they hear from news agencies since they tend to sensationalize news and make things worse.

When we had SARS in Toronto the rest of the world thought we were all walking around in masks and that the whole city was a danger... when in actual fact it was business as usual and you wouldn't know anything was going on here.

4. 84Hutch

84Hutch Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the uk are now suggesting only travel to mexico or the states if absolutely paramount. I have a feeling that the flights gunna be cancelled.

5. madao

madao Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Advising against travelling to affected parts from what I read, so im hoping Cancun doesnt count as its all been in Mexico City

6. 84Hutch

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yer u could well be right, the last thing i wanna do is end up in tenerfie thursday afternoon. im really not sure...perhaps the tour operators will jst fly as normal and theres nothing to worry about. 2 and a bit more days at work, its too close for comfort now. roll on thurs

7. babymoon38

babymoon38 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oink Oink... ok, just kidding... :oops:

Well I have given this alot of thought - and there is NO WAY you are keeping me from my vacation! Sure, I bought insurance and could get my flight money back - - but I'm sure Alpha Rooms wouldn't be so kind since they no longer service Temptations. HA

In all seriousness - - I look at it all in 2 ways. Because we live in such a great country - our immune systems are built up and battle this kind of stuff everyday, and we don't get sick. But those poor people in Mexico City, they don't live like we get to live here. They don't have the health and sanitation restrictions that we do for our living and our food. That makes us better to battle the illness'.

But I will tell you what I am going to do - - tonight I'm headed off to the Wally World - - I'm buying hand sanitizer for the hotel room, and a few bottles to keep around the pool, and take on the boat.... and when you see it - - stop and give you a squirt.

Shoot - make a game of it..... I'll sanitize you :wink: if you sanitize me :lol:

Instead of just body shots, we do Sanitation shots!

I fully expect to see everyone on our GO list in Cancun THIS WEEK! And I won't take NO for an answer!!!

And if we decide to not go to Coco Bongo - - We Can All Make Our Party On The Beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEE YOU SOON!

8. 84Hutch

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Speach!

Im going regardless and im still hitting all the clubs, perhaps we can set up a hotel quarantine area for my gang cos will be out there having it up! sod it

9. us2933

us2933 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    This is whats on the Thomas cook travel agent website in the UK

You will have seen from news coverage in the media that there has been reports of an outbreak of Swine Flu, which is affecting some parts of Mexico.

We are working closely with the Federation of Tour Operators (FTO) to monitor the situation but no tourist areas of Mexico have been affected, so we are operating as normal to Cancun. We understand that some customers may be concerned and may not wish to travel, but normal booking conditions apply. We would advise any customers who are concerned about symptoms or vaccinations to speak to their GP .

The Foreign & Commonwealth (FCO) website is being updated regularly with the latest information and advice - http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/

So we're cumming xxx

10. p8triot37

p8triot37 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Antiviral Medications: Travelers from the US going to Mexico that are at high risk of severe illness from influenza (for example persons with chronic conditions such as diabetes, lung disease, heart disease, and the elderly) are recommended to take antiviral medications for prevention of swine influenza during travel. The recommended antiviral drugs for swine influenza are oseltamivir (brand name Tamiflu®) and zanamivir (brand name Relenza®). Both are prescription drugs that fight against swine flu by keeping flu viruses from reproducing in your body. These drugs can prevent infection if taken as a preventative. Talk to your doctor about correct indications for using influenza antiviral medications. Always seek medical care if you are severely ill.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice