SWINE FLU - A LOCAL'S PERSPECTIVE

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by T.J., May 5, 2009.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am NOT saying that there is not swine flu in Mexico. I AM saying that no one that I know or have talked to, has seen or heard of a single case. To me that is great. My "informants" include 3 doctors. Two I see more often than the third and I have yet to see either in a mask.

I am told that swine flu cannot survive in hot weather, and believe me, it is hot. Low 80's every day. I do wear a mask when I am around lots of people, like Walmart, Costco, Market 23, etc., but I am not sure why. A nurse friend told me that the masks are designed to keep things from getting out, rather than in. Still, better safe than sorry I suppose.

Every single business seems to be hurting. VIPS, Starbucks and many other places have signs on the doors saying that occupancy is limited to 50%. I frequent two Starbucks. One seems to be on the honor system while the other actually has signs on table that they are out of service. The new VIPS, by the new Sam's Club, also has tables similarly blocked.

If I had a trip booked I would not hesitate to come to Cancun knowing what I think I know, or at least what is obvious to me. If I was really worried, I would be on the next plane to Florida.

Take this in the spirit in which it is offered but this scare, or whatever it is, is devestating to Mexico's economy. The peso is hanging around at about $13 to $1 USD but it is a miracle to me that it is under $15 to $1, maybe worse. I don't really make any money here but my working friends and those who own businesses need all the help they can get right now.

Please come to Cancun for your vacations.

Thanks,

2. Walshlaw

Walshlaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Still planning our trip. Coming with 15 family members.

3. cancunwhoopie

cancunwhoopie Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

News Channels now admit, they OVER-hyped this flu. What a shame their little ooops, cost millions of $$ of lost tourism. Hardships on many working Mexicans. OOPS, just doesn't cut it does it?

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They over-hyped this flu in part because Mexico, with it's poorly equipped laboratories, couldn't identify its own cases of Swine Flu.

It's horrible how all the tourists fled Mexico, but Mexico brought much of this on itself when they lumped every single case of any type of flu into their suspected Swine Flu number.

The suspected number of cases was huge...and then it took ages for the confirmations to come back. If Mexico had better labs they would have reported more realistic numbers and there would have been less panic in the media (well, a little less anyway).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice