Swim with dolphins?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Lunik, Mar 2, 2009.

?

Which one should I take?

1. Xelha

100.0%
  2. Xcaret

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Hotel Dreams

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Riviera Maya

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lunik

Lunik Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi there!

Im going to Cancun spring break and I've heard there are many packages to swim with dolphins there, but Im not sure which one should I take.

I've heard of Xel-Ha and Xcaret, but recently I heard about one at Cancun's hotel zone, so It would be closer to my hotel.

Which one do you think its the best?

I've found this page with the promotions:
    http://www.dolphinsrivieramaya.com/node/5

2. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    We enjoyed the one at La Isla shopping center! They have a HUGE aquarium there, and there is also a place to eat above it where you can watch the people with the dolphins! Wasnt much money and it was right there in the shopping center, cant beat it!

3. Fletch

Fletch Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the food kinda sucks though, we went last year

4. Lunik

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks you!
    But they are in a pool right? What I like about the others its to swim with dolphins on sea water, but I'll check "La Isla" too :D

5. Fletch

Fletch Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, the dolphins are in a confined pool, and from what I saw you were only able to pet them and feed them....other places actually allow you to be mobile with them

6. EngineerGuy

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    we got the full experience, fully "mobile" in the water. We did all kinds of stuff, including being pushed through the water the entire length of the aquarium, it was crazy!! They also video the whole thing and allow you to buy the dvd at the end if you like. And yes fletch, the food at that place sucked lol

7. Lunik

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ohh thanks you! I'll check it

8. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't want to come off like a jerk, but I always try to inform people on what is actually involved with dolphin swim programs.

- Dolphins are highly social animals who spend their lives in tight knit groups. Young dolphins are ripped out of their "family", taken away and spend the rest of their lives in small enclosures. This is extremely traumatic to the dolphin that was taken as well as to the group that lost a member.

- Often times, the water they live in is filthy in the "natural environment" places. Screens are necessary to keep the dolphins in the enclosures resulting in contaminants of all sorts being trapped in as well. And yes, dolphins do poop. And yes, it stays in there.

- Dolphins do attack from time to time. There are loads of videos out there showing dolphins at these "swim with the dolphins" places attacking their trainers or the customers in the water. People have died. I cheer for the dolphins.

Do a little bit of research if you're interested. There is tons of info available about this topic.

Sorry again for the rant. These programs just break my heart.

9. airaaron_6

airaaron_6 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    how much is the one you went to engineer???

10. EngineerGuy

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    good question, I dont remember as it was free for us, but I think it was around 55usd per person. I think...........

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice