Suspicious Email From Banamex

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by putangie63, Apr 27, 2007.

1. putangie63

putangie63 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I used the atm at the banamex across from the oasis twice during my trip. I have recieved 3 emails (all the same and in spanish) from them over the past week saying something about them updating their system and wanting to me to confirm my account with them. I don't have any account with them. I also never gave my email address to them while in cancun. Anyone else know what is going on here or have any experiences like this one? The email appears legitimate too.

2. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I wouldn't do anything with those e-mails except delete them.

No bank should ever ask for your account info in an e-mail.

I think it's a scam somehow.

But if you have any doubt call Babamex. I'm sure if you look them up on the internet they have a toll free number.

But I certainly wouldn't "confirm" anything or give them any info over the internet.

3. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    delete delete delete

4. putangie63

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They didn't ask for my info but asked me to click on a link that would take me to an area where i could confirm my account info. I did not open any sort of account with them while there (just used the atm) and i'm wondering how they got my email adress but i'm probably gonna call and ask about this.

5. hw711

hw711 Moderator/Dance Machine Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They are called phishing emails. They can come from fake Bank Of America, fake eBay, fake PayPal, fake anything... The email will lead you to a fake page where you enter your account info and they steal it. It doesn't matter if you have an account with the actual bank/company or not. Out of the millions of emails they sent out, some people are going to have an account and fall into their trap.

6. Ian

Ian Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Look here and follow the links around the various sites...

http://www.419eater.com/

Ian. :lol: :lol:

PS. and if your still unsure send me your debit card details, pin and passwords by secure email to hohoho@hotmail.com.

PPS. The link is safe, just for info only.....

7. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think these phishers have lots of ways to come up with people's e-mails and like Henry said, some of the people they send the e-mail to will have an acount with Banamex and will fall for their ploy.

8. putangie63

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've recieved phisher type emails on a different account talking about international lotteries won etc. but not on this account. It just seemed funny because the email was from banamex and i used their atm while in cancun. I called citibank (banamex usa) and they said they never send emails that would ask you to confirm your account.

9. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The email may appear to be from Banamex. The site it links to probably copied web page code from the actual Banamex site. If you look closely, there will probably be a very subtle difference in the web address. Sometimes is as slight as not having a / at the end or not having a https web address (which any bank should have).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice