Supermarket Scanners-Scammers

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The next time I get a couple dozen minutes all at one sitting, I'm going to call a friend of mine who ships boxcar loads of steering wheels in and out of Mexico (somewhere near Mexico City) all day and find out what the secret is. I'll admit, he is constantly frustrated by the cultural differences that characterize (he would have probably said "plague") his business in Mexico, but his 'off the cuff' response to me on duty and such was it was relatively easy to circumnavigate now - which I currently interpret to mean 'compared to what it used to be'.

You know, someone is going to open that market up - whatever parts aren't already open. Hopefully that will be done in a way that will add to - and not spoil - what you've come to enjoy about living there. More to come I'm sure.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think Cancun is a great place to live if you don't need to make a living here, and you have enough money to live in a lovely part of town and you can afford to travel at will. But it's not an easy place to make a living, and it's expensive in many ways, and it's culturally and physically flat, and you can go stir crazy if you don't get out of here sometimes.

The happiest people I know here are those that have retired here.

But the people here are great, except for one or two (or 500) loony gringos on the run from the law, the people are great!

3. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sort of funny in a way...
    I lived in the Detroit area at one time and would describe it using almost exactly the same words. (Maybe today too - don't know)

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would say that Cancun is better than Detroit in a second, just the weather saves us here, the weather here ROCKS, I love it, I hate being cold.

The Colorado/New Hampshire-bred girl who learned to drive on black ice and has slept in more than one snow cave, and has triggered an avalanche and once woke up drunk lying in a snowbank HATES being cold!!! Imagine that!

5. MartinnVegas

MartinnVegas Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks. I'm sweeping every yard sale this weekend. I'm going to buy every stuffed creature I can find. I'm determined to be the next stuffed thingy tycoon of Las Vegas. I'll be out of the managing-ladies-downtown business in no time. It's just too demanding and stressful.

Playa people, run for the hills....we're coming!

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ain't got no hills here...

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guilty as charged. We retired here, and we retired well. We also regularly travel, more to Europe than to the States and get our cultural fillups there as well as using the Internet and to a much lesser extent, television. This year, our third, we intend to grab a bit more of the culture available here, venturing further than Chichen and Tulum, to some of the more remote Mayan sites. We also have only skimmed the surface of the underwater worlds available here.

I would hate to try and make a living here and I admire those who've managed to do so. Were I younger I might have a different outlook on that, but I am thankfully done with the need to work.

And.. the people here are wonderful, including some of the 500 or so loonies :) , but certianly not all.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm eager to go to more Mayan ruins, I want to go over to Uxmal and down to Tikal. M- If you haven't gone to Ek Balam do that, it's not that far. And you'll love Merida, and that ruin just north of Merida is a good one, there's magic in the air there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice