Supermarket Scanners-Scammers

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Mar 28, 2007.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We went to the big Comercial Mexicana (the one next to Costco) to load up for the impending family arrival. My wife bought 2 personal care items that were marked at 27 pesos each.

That evening she was looking at Soriana's website and noticed the same item on sale. Out of curiosity she rooted around and found the register receipt from Comercial where she discovered that we had been charged 97 pesos each. We drove down there yesterday and checked. There were the same items on the shelf, still marked at 27 pesos and still being scanned at 97 pesos.

Getting the refund was no problem, but it turned out that it was almost impossible to purchase the item at the intended cost. There appeared to be no person in the store with the authority to override the scanner's programming. I offered to just leave 54 pesos and walk out but that was not to be. We couldn't leave with the items unless they were "registered".

We were escalated from the Servicio de Cliente desk to the floor assistant to the assistant manager to the grand gerente and chief poobah. Only after several phone calls to obtain the secret code and mystery handshake was the gerente actually able to punch in an alternate (correct) price. If time were really money, we should have just stayed home, but in the end it was fun watching the whole show.

The moral of the story is it doesn't matter how long the register receipt is, you have to check. From the reduction of the shelf stock I know that they moved lots of these items at 97 pesos and probably will continue to do so until someone can correct the database. Just because they're out to get me, it doesn't mean I'm paranoid :D .

2. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Isn't it funny how those kinds of "mistakes" only seem to go one way - that is - in the favor of the store?

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have seen the same problem going to the benefit of the buyer. I recently bought something at Soriana that was supposed to be $80 something pesos and it rang in at $18.

M - I think one of the biggest problems here is that the people at the bottom truly have no power. When I worked as a cashier in a supermarket, when I was 18, I had the power to give a refund, or run a price check and adjust the price of the item, I could do what it took to make the client happy. In fact my job description said I was there to serve the clients and keep them happy, among other things. But I don't think that most cashiers here are expected to keep the clients happy, and are not given the power to do so.

4. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Me too....happens to me every now and then in the produce department.

5. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

6. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They probably just don't have enough profesionalism. It happened to me also at the Mega, an item announced at 156 pesos, and scanned at 3 hundred and something. That was worth it! I FINALLY got it at the first price.... and it broke 2 days later (it was a seat protector for my car).

Once at Walmart, I paid in US$, they were ... forgetting to give me 100 pesos on the change. Fortunately I realized, which is not always the case. You should ALWAYS be very careful. That mistake may be either way, but for the coins, it is only their way. If you count how many people show up everyday... it is a fortune for them.

Good luck with all the family, M :D

7. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Two things come to mind repeatedly as I read of peoples' experiences in Cancun and that part of Mexico.

One is that operations and systems in general are sorely in need of attention.
    (I wonder if it was like that here 50 years ago and we just didn't know or notice.)

[Which in addition is funny as I deal with C. Slim's organization all of the time, and given their prosperity, you would think them to be immune. No such luck, I'm afraid.]

The other is that no one is rushing to move back (in the case of expatriots) as a result of it. Clearly there is a strong underlying force, and I doubt that you got trapped there as people used to get trapped in Vegas, and no one there drinks the water, so there is clealy something more going on here than drugs or financial trickery.

8. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, of course, there are strong things that ties up here: clear sea, white beaches, quality of life.... As they say, they don't have heart attacks :D , because they don't care.

I know I am much more patient than before (it is a good school) even though it is not always easy. If the toilet has a leak, it becomes an emergency after a week! Believe me, that helps me right now :)

I love my country. Actually I love every country I lived in (5), each one with a paradise side, and a hell side. The point is to know which side is stronger at a certain point of your life and what the circumstances make you choose. That doesn't prevent to complain, because the human nature would like everything perfect. :wink:

When I get stressed, I listen to the noise of the waves (I live on the beach), and I can breathe and relax.

9. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know lots of people that have moved back to their home country. Their reasons vary.

Whether certain people stay, or people leave, in the end, it's a personal decision that can be influenced by many, many factors, and can't always be simply pinpointed to the water, or poor customer service.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's it! I've had it! I'm moving back so I can go to a yard sale and buy something that was once $50 usd for 50ยข usd!!! I'm sick and tired of paying too much for things I don't need anyway!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice