Stupid Telmex monopoly

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apparently, if you do not want to wait for the technician to get to your order, you can pay your way to the top of the list. $400 pesos will get him there same day.

This is something that is "under the table" here, but at the same time, so widely accepted and expected. I agree, culturally different. I love that we CAN bribe people here, I hate that we HAVE to.

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Alright, the story is over. We called yesterday to find out where the technician was, only to be told that the order was "complete" and that they had fixed everything the day before. Oooooook, I must have missed letting someone into my house AND missed the fact that it was fixed. Grrrr. They re-placed the order and a tech came in the afternoon. With a wireless modem. Which he was not able to install because we didn't have a wireless card for the computer. He left it with me anyway and Jorge tried to install it in the evening after we bought a card. Three hours later (tech didn't leave us any drivers), she is up and running, yay.

With regards to not complaining, I am a consumer, I am a tax payer and I certainly believe that the Mexican people need to learn how to complain. This is a subject in some of my classes, asking my students if they are happy with this service or that government official. They heartily reply "NO! We hate it, but ni modo". We then get on to the cultural implications of "ni modo" and how it is holding the country back from developing into a first world country. Just my two cents, they do need to complain and so do we.

3. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Errrr. The wireless modems have USB, ethernet AND wireless ports (all the ones I have seen do, anyway).

Haven't seen a wireless-ONLY Telmex DSL modem EVER.

I don't think you HAD to go get a wireless card.

4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I got mine two months ago it was for both.

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm sorry, no hablo computadora! I just do what I am told, lol. :D

6. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree, the modem surely had physical connections along with the wireless.... I'm just shocked that someone calling themselves a tech for telmex wouldn't know that.... as for the order being completed, I've heard that one before. In the States that tech or whomever filed the order as complete would quickly be out of a job but here they can do it all day long and the order will simply be re-done to someone else..... and so on and so forth until next thing you know you have been waiting a month for service that their own wirtten policy says 5 days max.

7. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Let me guess - the Telmex tech who told you you needed a wireless card just happens to have a brother with a computer shop who is having a special on wireless cards this month. :)

8. dynamus

dynamus Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome to Mexico!

On my fisrt Telmex bill last month I was being charged $ 100 pesos for a digital service I did not ordered. So I went to Telmex, and to my surprise the same clerck who signed me up coudn't correct the problem. Instead, he had me call their billing dept from one of their free phone lines. They corrected the amount right away, and that was that.

On the other hand, on a recent survey I just heard that of all Latin People, Mexicans are the the ones who less complaint about bad services, government or private. That's sad, like somebody else said, we just let it go, that's very sad!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice