Stupid Cell Phone law going into effect....

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Life_N_Cancun, Mar 13, 2010.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also: Renaut extension rejected - Mexico - The News

2. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, V and the others.

I couldn't find the page online, although I have had my PIN for very long (as well as my CURP!), I always check my credit online. I also tried to send SMSs online, that has never worked, but it's another story.

But my phone works here, so I guessed if I can make a call I should send a SMS :icon_wink:, even though special numbers with Telmex don't work. So I did... On the 6th.

I first received a "message sent" alert... great! Then a SMS from the CURP saying my registration was processing.... great!!!

THEN, another SMS saying that my cell phone was already registered (on the 4th) :icon_confused:. Has anyone been kind enough (who knows my data) to do it for me from Cancun?????? Nobody told me so, and now I HOPE it is really registered :icon_smile:

In short, from what you all say, it seems like everything else in Mexico, something works for some people, and other things for other people.....

3. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So the question now is... are they stupid enough to actually cut off 85 million cell phones on the 10th? and how much chaos will that cause... I think I might want to stock up on food stuffs and water today... :icon_wink:

PS: how much would you like to bet that the registration system will crash due to the last minute surge....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2010
  4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OMG! If they turn off all those phones maybe the roads will get safer here? We need fewer idiots texting and talking on phones while driving.

5. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I predict the opposite since people will be speeding like mad trying to get places since they can't call... I also predict riots outside the telcel offices... it will be ugly if they really do cut the service... I sortof expect Calderon or someone will step in with some sort of emergency order to prevent it..... the cost in lost business alone would be huge.. since many people don't have landlines at all. I think the only reason Slim and the others aren't raising an uproar is they plan on turning a nice profit on the stolen balances and reactivation fees associated with the cutoff... my balance still says it will expire tomorrow even though I just recharged it last week.... :angrymad:

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just checked my credit in my Amigo phone, and it expires later on in the month (21st), not tomorrow. So that's good for me, but makes me wonder if your phone isn't actually registered...?!

I guess this whole thing will be interesting, and probably not in a good way.

7. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thats the thing I *think* I am registered, we'll see... meanwhile gas up the car and get ready for the angry people....:ranting1::angrymad: :aktion047: :angrymad::ranting1:

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, like most Mexicans, I waited until last night to register mine figuring that they will
    a.- give an extension so I can wait until the next last minute or
    b.- cancel the law which they do all the time anyway.

Attempt #1 was the regular text message to which I received no response whatsoever.

So this morning I tried the CURP text message approach and at least received a text message back that "my registration was in process and that in "un momento" I would receive the confirmation."

No confirmation yet.

Later today I will try the website and see if I can register or get a message saying it is already registered.

If they cut it off, no big deal for me. I don't give it out anyway and use it mostly for texting and the phone itself is only for 3 people from work that I don't want to receive calls from anyway.

10. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Movistar is saying the WON'T turn off their customers' phones saying: "“las telecomunicaciones son un servicio de interés público protegido por la Constitución que no puede ser negado a la población”.

Even though it is the law, Telecommunications are a public service interest protected by the Constitution and cannot be denied to the people.

(and now for a completely unrelated rant.)
    More talk about rights!! All over the world it is the same--we have rights to shop and vote and work and free everything! Never any talk of responsibilities. Gotta love a world where you have a right to say and do everything and no responsibilities.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice