Stupid Cell Phone law going into effect....

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Life_N_Cancun, Mar 13, 2010.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mix is totally right. The IMEI identifies the phone. Sr. Slim knows what IMEI phone is being used with any SIM. At least he can know.

Life is about the SIM being switchable between phones but I think not so right about the SIM being the tracking the registration. Maybe not wrong, but less right.

You can find your IMEI number by dialing *#06# on a GSM phone. The IMEI pops up immediately after you hit the 2nd #.

This can be relevant if you need to unlock a phone from one provider and use it on another providers network. I do this by getting my phones in the US and T-Mobile Cust. Svc gives me the unlock code and instructions when I verify the IMEI number. It also happens to be on the box and under the battery but who keeps the box and the sticker could be wrong, but not the internal phone memory.

2. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just found this article about the cell phone law.... also noticed a few things today myself.

I charged some credit to my phone at Extra, and when I dialed the *333 to check the balance it said I could use it before April 9th! So I'm thinking WTF I only get two weeks?, then it occurs to me the the 9th would be the day before the April 10th deadline... so I'm thinking two things now...

1. My phone may not have successfully registered... ( & there is no way to check yet....)
    2. Telcel may be planing to screw everyone out of their credit on the 10th using the law as an excuse to not reimburse them.... call me cynical but that sounds exactly like something Slim's business would take advantage of since the law said word for word that the providers won't be liable. Not to mention the "reactivation fees" that I'm sure are all lined up.

It may not matter though as the article says that there will be a six month extension since so many people are not registered.

PS: I'll give mixz1 his credit as it does seem that they will be logging the IEMI info as one part of the law in addition to the sim info... its still a really bonehead law though since phones are so easy to get/steal. Only the truly idiot criminals will not use disposable/stolen phones... of' course there will be a few no doubt but they would get caught sooner or later anyway...

3. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yesterday's local paper said they are asking for a one-year extension.

4. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Someone asked what the CURP code meant. Here it is:

The CURP code is composed of 18 characters that are assigned as follows:

The first surname's initial and first inside vowel;
    The second surname's initial (or the letter "X" if, like some foreign nationals, the person has no second surname);
    The first given name's initial;
    Date of birth (2 digits for year, 2 digits for month, and 2 digits for day);
    A one-letter gender indicator (H for male (hombre in Spanish) or M for female (mujer in Spanish));
    A two-letter code for the state where the person was born; for persons born abroad, the code NE (nacido en el extranjero) is used;
    The first surname's first inside consonant;
    The second surname's first inside consonant;
    The first given name's first inside consonant; and
    Two characters ranging from 1-9 for people born before 2000 or from A-Z for people born since 2000; these characters are generated by the National Population Registry to prevent identical entries.
    For married women, only maiden names are used.

For example, the CURP code for a hypothetical person named Gloria Hernández García, a female, born on 27 April 1956 in the state of Veracruz, could be HEGG560427MVZRRL05.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_ID_Number_(CURP)_(Mexico)

5. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the credit. Stolen is obviously the way to go. NOB, IEMI info may be recorded at the point of sale, so it would have to be cash or a stolen credit card. Doable, but yet another layer of hassle, which in this case is a good thing.

So... I have questions. Maybe I'm tech challenged, but I could not register our phones using the phone until we went down to Parque de Palapas and got our CURP numbers (and a good breakfast at Javier's).

First question: We have 3 phones and when I tried to register the 3rd phone with my curp, the message went out but I have not received any answers. What can I do?

Second question: We have friends who travel here on FM-Ts and stay at their apartment (Casa Maya) part of the year. They don't have CURPs but they do have local (Amigo) phones. What are they to do?

6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ive spent two days arguing about this as they "cant" register me since I "dont have a million, freaking names"...

I told them: My first name, my middle name(which you NEVER use in Sweden/Scandinavia/Australia etc..) and my last name...

"Nope, you have to have more"... :xyxthumbs:

We had to register it in my wife's name, so in a way it already defeats the purpose.

How about if the government would decide over actions that do NOT target us innocent..?

Its stupid and I can assure you that it will be misused (taa-daah!)

Also heard on the news last night that they are pushing the limit for another year, as some 70-80% (??) of the Mexican population have NOT registered...

7. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It said on Telcel's website that you could register an unlimited number of phones to the same curp (again... defeating the purpose) so 3 should be fine... as far as I know there is no way to check if it registered correctly. Even the Telcel office in Gran Plaza said that it was a government program not theirs therefore they can't check if a phone is registered, although they said they would be able to at some point. You're also supposed to be able to check what phones are connected to your curp.... at some point.. but nothing is working yet.

As for tourists, at this point I don't think they can register, so they'll have to get it in someones else's name (uhm... defeating the purpose)

For all you kidnappers, I'd imagine its easiest to just use the phone of the person you've nabbed since that provides some proof that you have the person anyway. (just be sure to turn it off before they can triangulate your position... assuming they know how to do that in Mexico) Somehow I doubt anyone committing these crimes would have an issue getting hold of a phone to use.

8. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus: your "other" name is your mother's maiden name. Of course I never used it before I got here but when in Rome.....................

9. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Jim: Believe me, we tried :)

They didnt accept it, but said its ok to register my phone in my wife's name as well...

EDIT: Come to think of it, I dont even have my mothers maiden name (aka. the name she had before marrying, right?)

10. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yes--your mother's last name.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice