Streets closed downtown

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Sep 10, 2008.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The teachers are demonstrating, I highly recommend avoiding Bonampak/Tulum/Plaza las Americas for the next couple of hours. It's a zoo out there. My normal 20 minute trip to pick up my kid from school turned into a nightmare of shouting matches, honking horns and driving in circles for an hour.

2. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Thanks for letting us know - the route to school should be fun!
    Tracey
    x

3. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Abosolute nightmare!! Shouldn't they be teaching instead of meandering around the streets! I left the hotel zone to pop home for lunch and basically drove a big loop of Cancun and back to work - took me 2 hours and I didn't get to eat!!! :mad:

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We left the ZH at 12:30 for a 1 PM at Banamex on Tulum, arrived at 2 PM after being diverted onto Bonampak, up to Portillio, left on Tulum. Bank appointment blown. Stopped in at Taste of India. Not bad, not English, but everything tasty and well prepared.

As we were paying the bill, in rapid succession the rain started coming down in buckets and I heard the sounds of overmodulated bull-horns and bass drums and realized the procession had wound its way up from Bonompak to Tulum.

Envisioning the nightmare of my car trapped in place by a zillion bull horn shouting bass drum beating chainting teachers and not getting home until tomorrow, we ran through the rain and knee deep puddles to extricate the vehicle before the marchers surrounded us. Thankfully we made it and the drive home was easy.

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had a 2 pm appt in the ZH. Left my house at 1:30, went down Xcaret. When I got to the Gloreta de Ceviche they forced us to go south on the Tulum frontage. At the VW dealer I was able to turn left and go down Sayil but then they wouldn't let us cross Bonampak and routed traffic behind Plaza Las Americas instead.

While I was behind PLA one of the construction workers working on one of those new buildings dropped an empty coke bottle (plastic) on my car from many stories up. Then some moron got mad (because I was trying to cut him off) at me and flicked a lit cigarette butt onto the hood of my car. And there was a crane back there with it's stabilizers out, so there was only one lane. It was nuts.

I finally made it back to Bonampak and was able to get behind the Plaza de Toros and out to the HZ, but the whole thing was a big mess. All told it took me just over an hour to get to my appt. And I was running out of gas to boot.

7. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Crazy, you guys!

One day when I was there, the taxis demonstrated. They blocked off the north access to ZH! So to go to ZH we had to go all the way to the south access....

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Whose teachers were these?

Dani was at school as normal today, her teachers too. Jannet had trouble picking her up on time because of this. And what's with riot police lining the entrance to the HZ.

Over reaction or what!

9. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve,
    The public school teachers are on strike, hundreds of thousands of kids have not been in school for a month. (Private schools are not affected) I think the heavy police presence was because no one seems to support this strike and they were anticipating problems with 13 000 striking workers blocking the route for everyone else.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well from what I saw the POLICE were the problem yesterday, they were the ones who wouldn't let the traffic go where it needed to. I saw the march but it was not in the way of the traffic jam I was stuck in.

It's too bad teachers don't have more support. This country needs all the educational support it can get. Of course I very much doubt that there is any more money to give the teachers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice