Straight from the CDC website - Regular Flu

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Brett61, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Brett61

Brett61 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "About 36,000 Americans die on average per year from the complications of flu." - CDC

This is straight from the CDC website about the regular flu that goes around every year. That is almost 100 people A DAY in the US that dies from the flu. From the regular flu that we all get every year. So far I think like what maybe 150 people have died from this new one? This is ubelievable what the media can do. Stop worrying about it and just go to Cancun and have FUN and drink ALOT!

See you there :)

2. cancunwhoopie

cancunwhoopie Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can't agree with you more,Brett. The reported case in Inidana was fine within 2 days. 150 deaths from how many million? People get a grip ! Start calling the airlines could score a fantastic trip to Cancun. Then you can laugh all the way to the bank, because you did NOT allow something like this to mess with your brain. The lights are on in Cancun and there is no boogey man.

3. Brett61

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am going to correct myself... there hasn't even been 150 deaths from the swine flu. There has only been like maybe 5 people that have actually died IN THE WHOLE WORLD and in mexico there are 100+ cases of the FLU.. not all this new mumbo jumbo flu.. My point is that like I stated before 100 people a day die from the regular flu in the US alone - 5 people have died of the new one... DO NOT CXL YOUR TRIP. I just hate to see the media do this crap. If it wasn't for them then the Government wouldn't even be talking about it either, but since the Media is all over it the government has to take some kind of action. If they didn't everyone would be complaining that they aren't doing anything about it.

So to all the people that are thinking about cxling - DON'T!

Anyways thats my last rant on the topic because I leave in a few - See you there!!!

4. Brett61

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    P.S.

sorry for making a new topic about this but I just wanted to make sure everyone reads it.

GR SOLARIS HERE I COME!!
    any last minute advice?

5. pjscardz

pjscardz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not sure where you obtained your facts but there have been well over 2,000 cases in Mexico and over 155 confirmed deaths in Mexico from the Swine flu.

The problem with this flu compared to the regular flu is a two part issue. One is that it spreads much easier than the regular flu. Take note of the handful of highschool students (I believe it was 5 or 6) in NYC who returned from vacation in Mexico with Swine flu. Within days over 200 of their classmates are now sick with what appears to be Swine Flu (too coincidental not to be).

The other problem is the human immune system has virtually no defense against this flu. Therefore the 36,000 elderly people and infants who die from the regular flu are not the only victims of the Swine flu. Everyone can die from it.

If it is contained we have nothing to worry about. If a bunch of people run around with the "who gives a shit" attitude that seems to be surfacing on this board it's going to spread and cause problems.

I'm not saying anyone should panic over the Swine flu. I'm just saying don't take the issue lightly. Take precautions and pay attention to the situation. Try to read between the lines with the media hype and pay attention to the CDC and WHO reports if you intend to travel.

Personally I want you to be around in the future posting on here about all the good times we are having. The "who gives a shit" attitude has a very positive effect in certain circumstances, just not this one...

6. Brett61

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "28 April 2009--The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 19:15 GMT, 28 April 2009, seven countries have officially reported cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. The United States Government has reported 64 laboratory confirmed human cases, with no deaths. Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of infection including seven deaths." - W.H.O.

I dont want to be mean or anything but isn't this a pretty good source? Stop listening to the media! Over the past 24 hours there has been (1) death in my state TEXAS and 7 more cases, not deaths, REPORTED in several different countries..

You have a better chance of dying in a car wreck on the way home from work ( 1 person dies every minute from a car wreck) than you do of dying from the dirt ol' Swine.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't make the mistake of misinterpreting the data!

Mexico does not have a single lab in the whole country that can confirm Swine Flu. The fact that there are more confirmed cases in the US largely reflects the fact that the US has better medical infrastructure.

In Mexico there are only 10 states with labs that can even diagnose flu type A. So ALL data you see regarding confirmed cases in Mexico has to be seen with the understanding that we cannot confirm cases here.

There is a big lag time while Mexican docs send their suspected samples to the labs outside the country that can confirm Swine Flu. Suspected cases in the US can be confirmed more quickly than suspected cases in Mexico.

This page has good data on the latest numbers of confirmed cases in each country: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_swine_flu_outbreak

8. pjscardz

pjscardz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry but I used the word confirmed when I should have used suspected. But do you think that the 155 dead was just a spike in regular flu patients? No, we're just waiting for the results to confirm what the doctors are already confident about. As we have already whitnessed, confirmation in Mexico takes much longer than in the US. It's only a matter of time before most if not all of the suspected numbers are confirmed.

I'm not worried about dying from Swine Flu. If I feel I have it I will visit my doctor and get treated. I'm more worried about those who don't have access to good medical attention. They are the one's who will ultimately die from this. Also the elderly and very young who typically lose their lives to most flu viruses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice